How does Ampere's Law apply to a long thick slab on the z axis?

In summary, the conversation is about a college student who is struggling to understand Ampere's law and is looking for help with a specific problem involving a long slab and a magnetic field. They are asking for clarification and possibly a diagram to better understand the concept. They mention that it is finals week and they are hoping for a quick response.
Kvm90
Hey all- I'm a Junior in college, pretty much have Ampere's law down except there's always been one thing I don't quite understand and have just memorized.

Say you have a long thick slab from -z to z on the z axis. J= J in the x direction. Find the B field in and out of the slab.

My attempt:

Use amperes law. I understand the RHS 100%, simple. On the LHS, however, I can't understand why int(B.dl) is BL rather that B(2L). Two sides of your Amperean loop are within the slab so why is int B.dl just BL.

Quick help would be appreciated; finals week- ugh!

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone can help tonight that would be great; is my question unclear?

I really want to fill this gap in my understanding of the basics of E&M

I'm struggling to understand exactly what you mean by "long thick slab from -z to z on the z axis", perhaps a diagram would be helpful. Drawing your amperian loop on the diagram and explicitly writing out both sides of the equation you are trying to understand would make it even easier to help.

What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces.

What is the basic form of Ampere's Law?

The basic form of Ampere's Law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the electric current passing through the loop.

What is the difference between Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law?

Ampere's Law describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces, while Gauss's Law describes the relationship between an electric charge and the electric field it creates.

How is Ampere's Law used in practical applications?

Ampere's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in the study of magnetic materials and in the field of medical imaging.

Are there any limitations to Ampere's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Ampere's Law. It only applies to steady currents and does not take into account any time-varying effects such as electromagnetic induction. It also does not take into account the effects of magnetic materials or non-uniform current distributions.