1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Basic AS level Physics

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    Calculate the mass of an ion that has a specific charge of 1.20x10^7 C kg^-1 and a negative charge of 3.2x10^-19 C.

Textbook answer: 2.67x10^-26 kg.

Question: if the ion has a negative charge of 3.2x10^-19, isn't that -3.2x10^-19?! In which case the answer would be -2.67x10^-26 kg?! Is the use of the word negative in this question a bit misleading?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    Hello Dan.West Ham supporter here(don't take the mickey).You make an interesting point.Specific charge is a ratio and I dont recall having seen it given either a positive or negative label.Thinking about it,it might seem to be more instructive to do so.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Hi Dadface, it isn't actually the specific charge I'm concerned about, its the charge of the ion. Is 'a negative charge of 3.2x10^-19 C' the same as -3.2x10^-19 C?! In which case the answer would be -2.67x10^-26 kg?! Is the use of the word negative in this question just a bit misleading?

Thanks very much!

P.s. Just watching the Bolton game myself!

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    Yes it is the same and it is twice the charge of the electron.From its charge and mass it looks like it's an oxygen ion.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook