Basic Augmented Matrix Problem

• Thread starter kamui8899
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an augmented matrix and finding all solutions to the equation using vectors. The correct solution is <z, (4/3)z - 5/3, -2((4/3)z - 5/3) -3z + 4>. The conversation also mentions an incorrect reduction of the matrix.
kamui8899
I have an augmented matrix:

1 2 3 4
0 3 4 5
3 12 1 2

Now this matrix simplifies to:

1 2 3 4
0 3 4 5
0 0 0 0

So there are infinite solutions, however I have to write all the solutions to the equation. I wanted to do this with vectors.

So I first solved for x and for y and got:

y = (4/3)z - 5/3

x = -2((4/3)z - 5/3) -3z + 4

So now what do I do, can I simply write the answer as:

<-2((4/3)z - 5/3) -3z + 4, (4/3)z -5/3, z>

which then goes to

z<-2(4/3) - 3, 4/3, 1> + <-2(-5/3) +4, 5/3, 0>

?

This doesn't seem correct to me though. Did I solve the equation correctly, and if so, is what I wrote the correct answer for finding all solutions to the equation?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did the reduction wrong. The bottom row does not become 0.

1. What is a basic augmented matrix problem?

A basic augmented matrix problem is a mathematical problem that involves using an augmented matrix to solve a system of linear equations. An augmented matrix is a representation of a system of equations in a matrix form, with the coefficients of the variables in the left side of the matrix and the constant terms on the right side.

2. How do I solve a basic augmented matrix problem?

To solve a basic augmented matrix problem, you can use a series of row operations to transform the augmented matrix into a row-echelon form or reduced row-echelon form. These operations include addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar. Once the matrix is in one of these forms, you can easily solve for the variables by back substitution.

3. Why is it useful to use augmented matrices to solve equations?

Augmented matrices provide a visual and organized way to solve systems of equations, especially when dealing with multiple variables. They also make it easier to perform the necessary row operations to solve the system, compared to solving the equations by hand. Additionally, augmented matrices can be used to solve larger and more complex systems of equations.

4. Can a basic augmented matrix problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a basic augmented matrix problem can have multiple solutions. This occurs when the system of equations has more than one set of values that satisfy all the equations. In this case, the solution is typically written as a set of equations or as a general solution with parameters representing the different possible solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using augmented matrices to solve equations?

There are some limitations to using augmented matrices to solve equations. For example, augmented matrices can only be used to solve systems of linear equations. They also cannot be used to solve equations with variables in the denominators or equations with trigonometric or exponential functions. In these cases, other methods such as substitution or graphing may be more suitable for solving the equations.