Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy?

• Thread starter vee6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of b-spline interpolation and the user's request for an easy and simple example. They mention their lack of experience and ask for guidance on solving the function of a basic open b-spline curve. They are directed to Google for more information and are advised to look for references and examples. The user also asks for clarification on the concept of b-spline interpolation and is recommended to read a book for better understanding. Various questions are asked to help determine the user's level of understanding and to provide more specific help.
vee6
What first thing I should do to solve the function of a basic open b-spline curve where the coordinate of its control points are such as written below?

x1,y1 = 0,0
x2,y2 = 1,3
x3,y3 = 3,5
x4,y4 = 5,6
x5,y5 = 7,5
x6,y6 = 9,3
x7,y7 = 10,0

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try google "b-spline interpolation".

What is the next?

vee6 said:
What is the next?

Explain your question.

What is the b-spline interpolation?

Please show me the example.

vee6 said:
What is the b-spline interpolation?

Please show me the example.
Are you asking us to do your work for you? That's not how it works here at Physics Forums.

Did you find some references as mathman suggested? If so, do you have any questions about the process?

Mark44 said:
Are you asking us to do your work for you?

No.

I am a dummy and want to learn about b-spline.

I am not working yet.

Mark44 said:
Did you find some references as mathman suggested? If so, do you have any questions about the process?

Yes I did.

However it's not b-spline but spline without "b".

It's from wikipedia.

Spline[/PLAIN] [Broken] interpolation.

Please show me an easy simple example of the b-spline interpolation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
There are some examples about halfway down the page.

Which one?

Take your pick. As for myself, I would go for the Uniform cubic b-spline.

vee6 said:
Please show me an easy simple example of the b-spline interpolation.
Without knowing what your mathematical background is, it's difficult to tell what constitutes "easy" or "simple."

Last edited:
A few questions for you:

1) When you talk about "solving the function" of the B-spline, what do you mean? Are you talking curve evaluation?
2) What degree do you want the resulting B-spline curve?
3) What kind of continuity do you want between points? Do you want C0? C1? C2?
4) What interval do you want to the resulting B-spline curve to have? [0,1] or something else?

If you can answer those questions, I'm sure people would be willing to help you.

If you want some more info look at this site:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES/cs3621/NOTES/

if you really want to understand i suggest you buy a book called An Introduction to NURBS: With Historical Perspective. it will start you out with some parametric curves and bezer to then introduce b-splines. I suggest you learn how to program, if you don't already since it can be very monotonous.

Other than that I can't really help you since I barely understand it myself.

What is a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy?

A Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy is a mathematical representation of a smooth curve that is commonly used in computer graphics and animation. It is defined by a series of control points and a set of basis functions that determine the shape of the curve.

How is a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy different from other types of curves?

A Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy is different from other types of curves, such as linear or quadratic curves, because it can create more complex and smooth shapes by using multiple control points and basis functions. This allows for greater control and flexibility in creating curves for animations and graphics.

How is a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy used in computer graphics?

A Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy is commonly used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations, such as character movements or object transformations. It is also used in 3D modeling to create smooth surfaces and shapes.

What are the advantages of using a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy?

One of the main advantages of using a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy is its ability to create complex and smooth curves with a relatively small number of control points. This makes it more efficient for creating animations and graphics compared to other types of curves. Additionally, the curve can be easily modified by adjusting the position of the control points.

Are there any limitations to using a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy?

One limitation of using a Basic B-spline Curve for a Dummy is that it can be more difficult to understand and work with compared to simpler curves. It also requires more computation and processing power to create and manipulate, which can be a drawback for real-time applications. In some cases, a simpler curve may be more suitable for certain animations or graphics.