Physics Newbie Needs Help with Basic Problems

• Thread starter lusterjester
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a physics newbie seeking help with two problems. The first problem involves understanding the reason for bending legs while running. The second problem is about tearing paper with one hand and the physics principles involved in this task. The speaker is grateful for any help, despite not being advanced in physics. They also mention the possibility of the situation being similar to ambiguous triangles.
lusterjester
I'm a physics Newbie, don't going to deny that. =).

I have two problems that have been giving me headaches and I was wondering if anyone can solve them for me?

1) When you run you do not keep your legs striaght, but rather bend them. What is the reason?

2) Assume you are an athelte, and you believe you can tear paper with just one hand? what is the best stragety? list the components of your strategy stated in terms of physics princples. Will there, in theory at least, ever be a set of circumstances in which will not allow you to use one hand without winding up with paper all over the floor? explain.

thanks to anyone that can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
im not that advanced in physics also but

1) do you know anything about ambiguous triangles? i think this situation is similar.

Hello there, it's great to see your interest in physics! I would be happy to help you with your problems.

1) The reason for bending your legs when running is to increase your stability and balance. When you run, your body moves forward and your legs act as a lever to propel you forward. Bending your legs allows for a greater range of motion and also absorbs the impact of your foot hitting the ground, reducing the strain on your joints. Additionally, bending your legs helps to conserve energy as you use less force to move your body forward.

2) There are a few components to consider when attempting to tear paper with just one hand. First, you need to understand the strength and structure of paper. Paper is made up of fibers that are bonded together, and when you tear it, you are breaking those bonds. To tear paper with one hand, you need to apply a force that is greater than the strength of the paper's bonds.

Some strategies you can use include starting with a small tear and gradually increasing the force, using your dominant hand and fingers to grip the paper firmly, and using a quick and sharp motion to create a clean tear. In terms of physics principles, you are applying a force (your hand) to overcome the resistance (the bonds in the paper). This requires an understanding of force, friction, and the strength of materials.

In theory, there may be circumstances where it is not possible to tear paper with just one hand, such as if the paper is too thick or if your hand is injured. Additionally, if the paper is wet or has been folded multiple times, it may be more difficult to tear with one hand. However, with the right technique and enough force, it is possible to tear paper with just one hand in most cases.

I hope this helps you better understand the physics behind these problems. Keep up the curiosity and keep exploring the world of physics!

1. What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand how the universe works at the most fundamental level.

2. What are some common problems that physics newbies struggle with?

Some common problems that physics newbies struggle with include understanding basic concepts such as force, motion, and energy, applying mathematical equations to real-world situations, and visualizing abstract concepts such as vectors and waves.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of physics. These include attending lectures, practicing solving problems, conducting experiments, and seeking help from a tutor or study group.

4. What are some helpful resources for beginners in physics?

There are many helpful resources for beginners in physics, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and interactive simulations. It may also be helpful to join online forums or attend study groups to discuss and learn from others.

5. How can I apply physics to real-life situations?

Physics can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, from understanding the motion of objects to designing and improving technology. By understanding the principles of physics, you can make informed decisions and solve problems in everyday life.