Basic Books for self-teaching

• Thread starter Buttercup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the person is at a 10th grade level in math and wants to learn more. They are not looking for something specific, but want to be comfortable at school and enjoy studying. They are also interested in other subjects.
Buttercup
Nice to meet you guys! :blushing: [STRIKE]That's my first time writing in a forum in English. Don't know how to start.[/STRIKE]
I kind of super need your help.
I have a poor Math knowledge for most of you, but I've been studying very hard. My father was teaching me Math, but he's working abroad and I have to study by myself now. I'm at a 10th grade level, I guess.
There are no good libraries where I live and shipping books are really expensive too, but I decided to buy some books for self teaching me. [STRIKE]Redundancy? I'm sorry, English isn't my first language. If I do any mistakes, please correct me! I'll be really grateful.[/STRIKE]
I'm not a genius not even clever but I really work very hard.
I'll be really happy if you guys could share with me some books that could be helpful for me, not only Math, but Biology and Introduction to Physics and Chemistry... By, the way, I know that knowledge comes with time (and lots of practice) so I really don't care if it's something basic. I'm 12 but I'm not really looking to something childish, but not too hard for me.. I have a lot of free time, so the more exercises, the merrier! :smile:

Thank you very much.
Waiting for your answer. (lol) [STRIKE]can I use "lol" there? If not, I'm really sorry[/STRIKE]
Thanks and
Carpe diem!

PS: Sorry for the mistakes and the confusing text... The title describes it all, so thanks for reading. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Buttercup said:
I'm at a 10th grade level, I guess.

Could you be a bit more specific what that means. Could you give a brief description of your exact math and physics knowledge?

Also, is there something specific that you wish to learn?

micromass, thanks for your answer. :)
The last thing I've studied was logarithmic equations and a little of basic trigonometry. I'm sorry because I don't really know exactly how to answer. My father used to pick "random" contents in an order which he could review and I understand.
I'm not looking for something specific, not yet.
I just want to be comfortable at school and enjoy a little of study (and be able going to a good college, by the way. But it'll take too long..)

Thanks again. ~

1. What are the best basic books for self-teaching?

The best basic books for self-teaching will vary depending on the subject you are interested in. Some popular options include "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley for learning math and science, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White for improving writing skills, and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle for self-improvement and mindfulness.

2. How do I choose the right basic book for self-teaching?

When choosing a basic book for self-teaching, consider your learning style and the level of difficulty you are comfortable with. It may also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have successfully self-taught with the book.

3. Can I use basic books for self-teaching as a substitute for a formal education?

Basic books for self-teaching can be a valuable resource for learning new skills and acquiring knowledge, but they should not be seen as a replacement for a formal education. They can be used to supplement your learning or as a starting point, but a formal education provides a more comprehensive and well-rounded education.

4. How do I stay motivated while self-teaching with basic books?

Staying motivated while self-teaching with basic books can be challenging, but there are some strategies that can help. Set specific goals for yourself, take breaks when needed, and find a study buddy or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated.

5. Are basic books for self-teaching suitable for all subjects?

Basic books for self-teaching can be useful for a wide range of subjects, but they may not be the best option for more complex or technical subjects. It's important to carefully consider the subject matter and your own learning style before choosing a basic book for self-teaching.