Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic books on learning physics

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    I want to learn basic physics to get into more advanced physics. I know some things about physics but want to learn more about the basics. If you know any names of the books please tell me! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Just go to any bookstore online or locally and you should be able to find dozens of beginner books on a wide variety of subjects. Also, are you wanting to learn the general overview of physics, or really get into the math and stuff? That's going to change what type of books you should get as well.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yeah, good point from Drakkith there. To get deep into physics, you'll also need to learn some maths along the way.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

For basic quantum mechanics I recommend "quantum mechanics" by Alastair I. M. Rae (he's from an english university).

Although, if you want to get the basics of physics, quantum mechanics isn't a good place to start.

Some good stuff to start with is classical mechanics, thermodynamics (and statistics), electromagnetism, special relativity, etc

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    I have the same question. Yes, I would like to "really get into the math and stuff" but I would also like some basic physics books. I know some physics? but I can't really judge how much I know yet.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I can't give any specific titles, but I would expect any bookstore to have plenty of basic physics books. For detailed math you should be able to buy a college level physics book if you really want to get into it. I'd expect that would be the best way to learn the details. (That and take the class) I'm sure you could find a used physics book for pretty cheap. Many students will sale their books once they are done with the class.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7
    The book I used in highschool was by Serway, called "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" and I thought it was really good, and he's got some difficult problems in each chapter as well.

Good place to start, but remember to study math so that your math is always ahead.

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8
    University Physics - Young and Freedman

That was the standard big textbook for our physics course and it served me pretty well.

10. Sep 8, 2011 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook