1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Bra-Ket Question

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a three-dimensional vector space spanned by an orthonormal basis [itex] |1\rangle, |2 \rangle, |3 \rangle [/itex]. Kets [itex] |\alpha \rangle, |\beta \rangle [/itex] are given by
    [tex] |\alpha \rangle = i|1\rangle -2|2 \rangle -i|3\rangle, \qquad |\beta \rangle = i|1\rangle +2 |3\rangle. [/tex]

part a) Construct [itex] \langle \alpha| \text{ and } \langle \beta | [/itex] (in terms of the dual basis [itex] \langle 1|, \langle 2|, \langle 3| [/itex]).

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to check that I understand this correctly. Is the Bra the row vector that is basically the complex conjugate of the Ket, leading to the inner product? In this case,
    [tex] \langle \alpha | = -i \langle 1 | -2 \langle 2| +i \langle 3| \qquad \langle \beta | = -i\langle 1| + 2 \langle 3| [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Right.

4. Feb 18, 2013 #3
    Thanks DrClaude. So if I have part a right,
    [tex] \langle \alpha | = (-i, \, -2, \, i) \quad \text{ and } \quad \langle \beta | = (-i, \, 0, \, 2)[/tex]

My calculation in the second part should be correct:
    [tex]\langle \alpha | \beta \rangle = 1 + 2i \quad \text{ and } \quad \langle \beta | \alpha \rangle = 1 - 2i [/tex]

Then the third part asks:
    Find all nine matrix elements of the operator [itex]\hat{A} = |\alpha\rangle \langle \beta| [/itex], in this basis, and construct the matrix A. Is it hermitian?

How do I go about this? I don't see how to multiply [itex]|\alpha\rangle\langle \beta |[/itex] to get nine elements.

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4
    If [itex]|\alpha\rangle [/itex] represents a column vector (3,1) and [itex] \langle \beta |[/itex] a row vector (1,3) in terms of matrix multiplication what should (3,1)x(1,3) give you?

6. Feb 18, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In vector terms the product [itex]<\alpha||\beta>[/itex] is the "inner product"- after taking the complex conjugate, multiply corresponding terms and add. If [itex]|\alpha>= <a_1, a_2, a_3>[/itex] and [itex]|\beta>= <b_1, b_2, b_3>[/itex], then [itex]<\alpha||\beta>= a_1b_1^*+ a_2b_2^*+ a_3b_3^*[/itex]. ("*" is the complex conjugate.)

For the "exterior product", you form the nine products of every member of [itex]|\alpha>[/itex] with every member of [itex]<\beta|[/itex] as a matrix:
    [tex]|\alpha><\beta|= \begin{bmatrix}a_1b_1^* & a_1b_2^* & a_1b_3^* \\ a_2b_1^* & a_2b_2^* & a_2b_3^* \\ a_3b_1^* & a_3b_2^* & a_3b_3^*\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6

DrClaude

Kevin and Ivy beat me to it. I will just stress that kets should be seen as column vectors, not row vectors as you wrote, and bras as their Hermitian conjugate.

8. Feb 18, 2013 #7
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't thinking of the Bra as a row vector. After doing the multiplication, I get
    [tex] \hat{A} = | \alpha \rangle \langle \beta | =
    \begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 &2i\\ 2i &0 &-4\\ -1 &0 &-2i \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
    Which is not hermitian as [itex] \hat{A} \neq \hat{A}^\dagger [/itex]. Correct?

9. Feb 19, 2013 #8

DrClaude

That looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook