Bra-Ket Question: Constructing Langle Alpha & Beta

• Thread starter Bobbo Snap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket
The matrix is not Hermitian because the off-diagonal elements are not equal to their complex conjugates.
Bobbo Snap

Homework Statement

Consider a three-dimensional vector space spanned by an orthonormal basis [itex] |1\rangle, |2 \rangle, |3 \rangle [/itex]. Kets [itex] |\alpha \rangle, |\beta \rangle [/itex] are given by
[tex] |\alpha \rangle = i|1\rangle -2|2 \rangle -i|3\rangle, \qquad |\beta \rangle = i|1\rangle +2 |3\rangle. [/tex]

part a) Construct [itex] \langle \alpha| \text{ and } \langle \beta | [/itex] (in terms of the dual basis [itex] \langle 1|, \langle 2|, \langle 3| [/itex]).

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to check that I understand this correctly. Is the Bra the row vector that is basically the complex conjugate of the Ket, leading to the inner product? In this case,
[tex] \langle \alpha | = -i \langle 1 | -2 \langle 2| +i \langle 3| \qquad \langle \beta | = -i\langle 1| + 2 \langle 3| [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right.

Thanks DrClaude. So if I have part a right,
[tex] \langle \alpha | = (-i, \, -2, \, i) \quad \text{ and } \quad \langle \beta | = (-i, \, 0, \, 2)[/tex]

My calculation in the second part should be correct:
[tex]\langle \alpha | \beta \rangle = 1 + 2i \quad \text{ and } \quad \langle \beta | \alpha \rangle = 1 - 2i [/tex]

Then the third part asks:
Find all nine matrix elements of the operator [itex]\hat{A} = |\alpha\rangle \langle \beta| [/itex], in this basis, and construct the matrix A. Is it hermitian?

How do I go about this? I don't see how to multiply [itex]|\alpha\rangle\langle \beta |[/itex] to get nine elements.

Bobbo Snap said:
Then the third part asks:
Find all nine matrix elements of the operator [itex]\hat{A} = |\alpha\rangle \langle \beta| [/itex], in this basis, and construct the matrix A. Is it hermitian?

How do I go about this? I don't see how to multiply [itex]|\alpha\rangle\langle \beta |[/itex] to get nine elements.

If [itex]|\alpha\rangle [/itex] represents a column vector (3,1) and [itex] \langle \beta |[/itex] a row vector (1,3) in terms of matrix multiplication what should (3,1)x(1,3) give you?

In vector terms the product [itex]<\alpha||\beta>[/itex] is the "inner product"- after taking the complex conjugate, multiply corresponding terms and add. If [itex]|\alpha>= <a_1, a_2, a_3>[/itex] and [itex]|\beta>= <b_1, b_2, b_3>[/itex], then [itex]<\alpha||\beta>= a_1b_1^*+ a_2b_2^*+ a_3b_3^*[/itex]. ("*" is the complex conjugate.)

For the "exterior product", you form the nine products of every member of [itex]|\alpha>[/itex] with every member of [itex]<\beta|[/itex] as a matrix:
[tex]|\alpha><\beta|= \begin{bmatrix}a_1b_1^* & a_1b_2^* & a_1b_3^* \\ a_2b_1^* & a_2b_2^* & a_2b_3^* \\ a_3b_1^* & a_3b_2^* & a_3b_3^*\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Kevin and Ivy beat me to it. I will just stress that kets should be seen as column vectors, not row vectors as you wrote, and bras as their Hermitian conjugate.

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't thinking of the Bra as a row vector. After doing the multiplication, I get
[tex] \hat{A} = | \alpha \rangle \langle \beta | =
\begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 &2i\\ 2i &0 &-4\\ -1 &0 &-2i \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
Which is not hermitian as [itex] \hat{A} \neq \hat{A}^\dagger [/itex]. Correct?

Bobbo Snap said:
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't thinking of the Bra as a row vector. After doing the multiplication, I get
[tex] \hat{A} = | \alpha \rangle \langle \beta | =
\begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 &2i\\ 2i &0 &-4\\ -1 &0 &-2i \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
Which is not hermitian as [itex] \hat{A} \neq \hat{A}^\dagger [/itex]. Correct?

That looks correct.

1. What is a bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It consists of a "bra" vector, represented by ⟨, and a "ket" vector, represented by |. Together, they form a bracket, and the notation is read as "bra" vector "ket".

2. How do you construct Langle Alpha & Beta using bra-ket notation?

To construct Langle Alpha & Beta using bra-ket notation, you simply need to combine the bra and ket vectors for the two states. For example, Langle Alpha & Beta = ⟨Alpha|Beta⟩. This represents the inner product of the two states.

3. What does the bra vector represent in bra-ket notation?

The bra vector in bra-ket notation represents the complex conjugate of a quantum state vector. It is typically denoted by ⟨ followed by the state vector, and is read as "bra" state vector. This notation is used to represent the dual vector space of the state vector.

4. What does the ket vector represent in bra-ket notation?

The ket vector in bra-ket notation represents a quantum state vector. It is typically denoted by | followed by the state vector, and is read as "ket" state vector. It represents a vector in a Hilbert space, which is used to describe the state of a quantum system.

5. How is bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

Bra-ket notation is used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system and to perform calculations. It is a compact and powerful notation that simplifies complex mathematical equations and allows for easier interpretation of physical phenomena. It is also used to represent operators and their actions on states, making it an essential tool in the study of quantum mechanics.