1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic C++ Coding?

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Basic C++ Coding???

Assume that name and age have been declared suitably for storing names (like "Abdullah", "Alexandra" and "Zoe") and ages respectively. Write some code that reads in a name and an age and then prints the message "The age of NAME is AGE." where NAME and AGE are replaced by the values read in for the variables name and age.
    For example, if your code read in "Rohit" and 70 then it would print out "The age of Rohit is 70.".

Here is what I put in:

cin >> name >>age;
    cout << "The age of" << name << "is" << age << ".";

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Basic C++ Coding???

Two obvious problems are that you don't have a function named main, and you haven't declared the variables you're using.

You also need to have a #include directive so that you can use cin and cout.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3

Also you'll need to add:
    using namespace std;
    If you want to use cout and cin without std:: prefix.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would say assignment is ambiguous. "Some code" that you wrote is technically doing what it should do, especially if we assume variables were declared earlier (as is suggested). I suppose you tried to compile the code and it didn't compile, so you assumed it is wrong - if so, look at the answers already given, but the problem doesn't lie in your two lines of code.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook