Troubleshooting a C++ Program: Result Window Not Staying Up Long Enough

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a C++ program where the result window closes too quickly. The solution is to add the #include <conio.h> library and use the getch() function before the return statement. This allows for the user to see the result before the window closes. The conversation also mentions that this solution may not be considered "proper" C++ and may not be mentioned in books or tutorials. It is also noted that the behavior of the program may be different depending on the operating system and IDE being used.
Heisenberg.
I have been creating simple programs from the hello world one to simple math and loops - all of a sudden when I went to practice more today my programs would be completed but the window showing the result would pop up and almost instantaneously close itself - in the end I can't see the result, here is a simple example where code seems fine no errors are shown but the result window is not staying up long enough:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
int a, b;
int result;

a=5;
b=3;
result=a+b;

cout << result;

return 0;
}

I am new to c++, so I have no idea where to even look to fix this problem - it seems like the result window is not staying up long enough - any ideas? and please inform me if I am not being clear enough

Technology news on Phys.org
Add #include <conio.h> and use 'getch();' right before 'return 0;'. getch() waits for a character to be entered (and returns the value of it).

hm conio.h ? but I did apply the getch and the same issue occured

I added the two lines. Now it should work.

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h> // I added this

using namespace std;

int main ()
{
int a, b;
int result;

a=5;
b=3;
result=a+b;

cout << result;getch(); // I also added this

return 0;
}

awesome, it worked, Thank You! my question is why is neither the website I am using nor the book I have include that bit?

I don't know, but I think it is because it is not "proper" C++ to do it this way. getch(); is a command which returns the value of the next character to be typed, which is why it exits when a new character is typed in. It just happens to give us what we want, i.e. time to see the result of our code.

Good luck.

OS? IDE?

Under Visual Studio what happens depends on whether you run your program using F5 or Ctrl-F5. I never remember which one is which - but one stops displaying the window after the execution ended and waits for anykey. And it has nothing to do with C or C++.

If you run your original program in a command prompt, it should work as expected. OTOH, if you run your program in an IDE such as Visual Studio, the IDE will open a separate command window, display the result, and then close.

Borek said:
OS? IDE?

Under Visual Studio what happens depends on whether you run your program using F5 or Ctrl-F5. I never remember which one is which - but one stops displaying the window after the execution ended and waits for anykey. And it has nothing to do with C or C++.

It is Ctrl-F5, which pauses.

And I did not say it has anything to do with C or C++, but that the reason why my suggestion is not mentioned in a book is because it is bad practice.

1. Why is my C++ program's result window not staying up long enough?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there is a bug in your code causing the program to terminate early. Another possibility is that your program is running too quickly and the result window is closing before you have a chance to view it. Additionally, some IDEs have settings that automatically close the result window after a certain amount of time, so be sure to check your IDE's preferences.

2. How can I fix this issue?

If the issue is caused by a bug in your code, you will need to debug and fix the issue. If your program is running too quickly, you can try adding a delay or pausing the program at certain points to give yourself enough time to view the result window. You can also adjust the settings in your IDE to keep the result window open for a longer period of time.

3. Is there a way to keep the result window open indefinitely?

Yes, most IDEs have an option to keep the result window open until you manually close it. This can usually be found in the preferences or settings menu of your IDE. Keep in mind that this may slow down the execution of your program, so it's best to use this option only when necessary.

4. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take?

If adjusting the settings or adding a delay does not solve the issue, you may need to check for any conflicting processes or programs that could be causing the result window to close. You can also try running your program on a different IDE or computer to see if the issue persists.

5. How can I prevent this issue in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening in the future, it's important to thoroughly test your code and make sure it is free of bugs before running it. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with your IDE's settings and preferences can help you troubleshoot and resolve similar issues in the future.