Solving a Calculation Problem - Basic Math/Stress Energy Tensor

In summary: My calculation was incorrect and I realized that I had to use the chain rule to find the correct equation.In summary, The person is having trouble finding a term in the stress energy tensor from a lagrangian and initially found the correct equation but later realized that they made a mistake in their calculation. They share the equations they used and explain their mistake. They also clarify that this is not a homework assignment but rather a calculation that has already been done during their training.
kalish
Hello, I have a basic calculation problem. I have to find a term in the stress energy tensor from a lagrangian, that has many terms. I found the correct equation at first but know I think I made a mistake in calculation.

here is the term that make me problem, I have to find [tex]\frac{\delta(\sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha \phi \partial^\alpha \phi)}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} = \sqrt{-g}( \partial_\mu \partial_\nu \phi -\frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha \phi \partial^\alpha \phi)[/tex]

indeed that's what I found. BUT I found it using [tex] \frac{ \delta g^{\alpha\beta}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} \sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha \partial_\beta \phi = \delta^\alpha_\mu \delta^\beta_\nu
\sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha \partial_\beta \phi [/tex]

but now I strongly believe that
[tex] \frac{ \delta g^{\alpha\beta}}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} \sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha \partial_\beta \phi = (\delta^\alpha_\mu \delta^\beta_\nu + \delta^\alpha_\nu \delta^\beta_\mu ) \sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha \partial_\beta \phi [/tex]

that means twice the first term, and that is a problem as my final result will look like

[tex] \sqrt{-g}( 2\partial_\mu \partial_\nu \phi -\frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}\partial_\alpha \phi \partial^\alpha \phi)[/tex]

So where is the problem please? I am a little ashamed, I thought about it before but I wasn't convinced as I found the good result.
This is not homework as I have to make a calculation that has already been made during my training, not quite a homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I found my mistake.

1. What is a calculation problem in basic math?

A calculation problem in basic math is any mathematical equation or formula that requires one or more steps to find the solution. It can involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and other basic operations.

2. What is the stress energy tensor?

The stress energy tensor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space. It is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy.

3. How do I solve a calculation problem in basic math?

To solve a calculation problem in basic math, you need to follow the correct order of operations, which is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right). Start by simplifying any operations within parentheses, then solve any exponents, and continue following the order of operations until you reach the final answer.

4. What is the importance of solving calculation problems in basic math?

Solving calculation problems in basic math is crucial for building a strong foundation in mathematics. It helps improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields such as science, engineering, and finance. Additionally, it allows for better understanding and application of more complex mathematical concepts.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving calculation problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving calculation problems is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the level of difficulty as you become more comfortable. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, use online resources and practice problems, and regularly review and reinforce the basic math principles and rules.