1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Calculus- Please help

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If sinx(lnx)=0 over [0, 2pi] then x=_____

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was to move sin over to the other side to get lnx= 0/sinx and then get lnx=0, making x=1. But is it incorrect to just move sinx over to the other side, because if i move lnx over to the other side, i would get x=0. Can you please explain to me what I am doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    Well, if those are factors; Sin(x) and ln(x). Then there are 4 solutions. You found ln(1)=0 then you just need to find those values that makes Sin(x)=0, one of the solutions are not legit since they are not defined by ln(x)

The question has nothing to do with calculus though :P

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. Jun 18, 2011 #3
    how do you know there are 4 solutions?
    and yes, this is just our summer review to go into calc. lol

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Then you should have posted this in the Precalculus subforum instead. :tongue:

There are 3 solutions because,
    there is 1 solution in [0, 2π] where ln x = 0, and
    there are 2 solutions in [0, 2π] where sin x = 0 (a 3rd is not in the domain of the ln x function).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. Jun 18, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I get 3 solutions. One of the 3 solutions in [0, 2π] for which sin x = 0 is not in the domain of the ln function.

7. Jun 18, 2011 #6
    You can't really just move the sine over like that. Sin is an operator! What you need to do is consider what would make sin(something) = 0. (consult your unit circle). Once you have those 2 solutions, set the argument of the sin to that.
    ln(x) = solution 1
    ln(x) = solution 2
    etc.

8. Jun 18, 2011 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

QuarkCharmer, you're misreading the problem, which is understandable due to the way the OP wrote the problem. Howebver, the expression on the left is a product, not a composition. It's sin(x) * ln(x), not sin(ln(x)).

9. Jun 18, 2011 #8
    My mistake, feel free to delete my post(s)

10. Jun 18, 2011 #9

eumyang

Homework Helper

Ack, that's what I get for blinding following someone else's post. :redface: Post corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook