How Does Increasing the Mass of the Topmost Particle Affect the Center of Mass?

In summary, the problem asks for the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of a three-particle system, with one particle at the origin, one at (1,2) and one at (2,1). The center of mass is defined as the point that moves as though all of the mass were concentrated there. Using the equation for the center of mass, it can be determined that the center of mass will move towards the particle with the greatest mass as the mass of the topmost particle is gradually increased. This can be shown mathematically by decomposing the fraction in the equation and reasoning about the proportions of the masses. As the mass of the topmost particle approaches infinity, the center of mass will be located close
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

What are (a) the x coordinate and (b) the y coordinate of the center of mass of the three-particle system shown in Fig. 9-22? (c) What happens to the center of mass as the mass of the topmost particle is gradually increased?

Fig 9-22 shows a particle at the origin, a particle at (1,2) and a particle at (2,1)

Homework Equations

x(com)=(x1m1+x2m2+xnmn)/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved parts a and b easily. And I reasoned that the center of mass should move towards the topmost particle as the mass of the topmost particle is gradually increased because the center of mass of a system of bodies by definition is the point that moves as although all of the mass were concentrated there, and thus the center of mass will be located close to the particle with the greatest mass.

I am not sure if my answer to C is sufficient. It seems too long; I would expect a more concise explanation. I also feel as though my teacher may take my argument to be circular, perhaps the question wants you to prove the definition of center of mass than use it as proof.

What do you guys and gals think?

Physics news on Phys.org
look closely at your equation for the center of mass... Try to decompose the fraction and rewrite it in a different way. You could then get your conclusion mathematically just by reasoning about the proportions of the masses, and thinking about how the y(com) and x(com) change as, say, m3 starts to increase. For that matter, think also about what happens as m3 goes to infinity. (not sure if you did this in class yet, but it would show your result very nicely as well)

Last edited:

I would like to provide a more detailed and concise explanation for part c. As the mass of the topmost particle is gradually increased, the center of mass will shift towards that particle. This is because the center of mass of a system is directly influenced by the mass and position of each individual particle. As the topmost particle gains more mass, it becomes a larger contributor to the overall mass of the system. This, in turn, affects the calculation of the center of mass, causing it to move closer to the particle with the greatest mass. This can also be seen in the equation for calculating the center of mass, where the mass of each particle is multiplied by its respective position. Therefore, as the mass of the topmost particle increases, the overall position of the center of mass will also shift towards that particle. This is a direct result of the definition of center of mass, which states that it is the point where the entire mass of a system can be considered to be concentrated. Hence, as the mass of the topmost particle increases, the center of mass will move towards it.

What is the basic center of mass problem?

The basic center of mass problem is a physics concept that deals with finding the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. It is also known as the center of gravity.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the average position of all the mass in an object. This can be done by dividing the sum of all the individual mass positions by the total mass of the object.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps to understand how an object will move and behave under the influence of external forces, such as gravity. It is also useful in designing structures and determining stability.

What factors affect the center of mass?

The center of mass is affected by the distribution and amount of mass in an object. If the mass is evenly distributed, the center of mass will be at the geometric center of the object. However, if the mass is unevenly distributed, the center of mass will be closer to the heavier side.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This can occur if the object has an irregular shape or if the mass is not evenly distributed. In these cases, the center of mass may be in empty space or outside of the physical boundaries of the object.