Finding the Atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3: Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter domtar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the total number of atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3 (MM = 100.0 g/mol) is 6.022x10^21 atoms. However, the correct answer is 3.01 x 10^22 atoms. This is because the calculations done were for the number of molecules, not the total number of atoms. Each molecule of CaCO3 contains 5 atoms, so the correct approach would be to multiply the number of molecules by 5 to get the total number of atoms. Therefore, the correct answer is 3.01 x 10^22 atoms.
domtar

Homework Statement

The total number of atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3 (MM = 100.0 g/mol) is:

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution: 1.00 / 100.0 = 0.01, then 0.01 x 6.022x10^23 = 6.022x10^21 atoms.

However, the correct answer is 3.01 x 10^22. How was my approach wrong and did I miss any steps? Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
5 atoms in the molecule of CaCO3

I don't think that's the conclusion I was suppose to arrive at... I'm unsure about the sort of calculations.

Gabriels-horn is perfectly right - you are asked about total number of atoms, so far you have (correctly) calculated number of molecules.

One molecule of CaCO3 is made of one Ca atom, one C atom and 3 O atoms - five atoms total.

How many atoms (in total) in 3 molecules of CaCO3?

How many atoms (in total) in 6.022x1021 molecules of CaCO3?

Your approach was not entirely wrong, but it seems that you may have missed a step in your calculation. Let's break it down:

1.00 g of CaCO3 is equivalent to 0.01 moles of CaCO3 (using the molar mass of 100.0 g/mol).

Now, 1 mole of any substance contains 6.022x10^23 particles (atoms, molecules, etc.), so 0.01 moles of CaCO3 would contain 0.01 x 6.022x10^23 = 6.022x10^21 particles.

However, CaCO3 is a compound made up of multiple atoms, specifically one calcium atom (Ca), one carbon atom (C), and three oxygen atoms (O). So, in order to find the total number of atoms in 0.01 moles of CaCO3, we need to multiply our previous answer by the number of atoms in each molecule of CaCO3.

This means that the total number of atoms in 0.01 moles of CaCO3 is 6.022x10^21 x (1 Ca atom + 1 C atom + 3 O atoms) = 6.022x10^21 x 5 = 3.011x10^22 atoms.

So, your initial approach was correct, but you just forgot to account for the fact that CaCO3 is a compound made up of multiple atoms. Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure you are accounting for all factors in a problem.

What is CaCO3?

CaCO3 is the chemical formula for calcium carbonate, a common compound found in rocks, shells, and the skeletons of marine organisms.

Why is it important to find the atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3?

Knowing the number of atoms in a given amount of a substance is important for understanding its chemical properties and reactions. It can also help in determining the purity of a sample.

How do you calculate the number of atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3?

To calculate the number of atoms, you need to know the molar mass of CaCO3 (100.09 g/mol) and Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23). Then, divide the given mass (1.00 g) by the molar mass and multiply by Avogadro's number. The result will give you the number of atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3.

What could be the sources of error in finding the atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3?

There are several potential sources of error, such as using inaccurate or expired chemicals, incorrect measurements, or human error in calculations. It is important to follow proper laboratory procedures and use precise equipment to minimize these errors.

How can I improve my accuracy in finding the atoms in 1.00 g of CaCO3?

To improve accuracy, it is essential to use high-quality chemicals, calibrate equipment regularly, and perform multiple trials to reduce random errors. It is also crucial to double-check all calculations and ask for assistance from a colleague or supervisor if needed.