Basic CIRCUIT ANALYSIS question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the voltage and current in a circuit, using equations such as Ohm's law and Kirchoff's voltage law. The solution involves determining the reference direction for current and calculating the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. The conversation also touches on the importance of following the passive sign convention and checking the accuracy of calculations.
ravenprp

Homework Statement

Please view the attached image.

Homework Equations

P = VI = I^2 R = V^2 / R
V = IR
KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble with part A. I got part B.

My Part A Problem: I chose my reference direction of I to be going clockwise (to satisfy passive sign convention). Now, since P is positive (which denotes absorption), we know that I = .25mA. How? P = IV... 2.5mW = 10V * I.

Knowing that, I found Vx by using Ohm's law.

V = IR
Vx = -.25mA * 10v = -2.5V

Knowing that, to compute Vba, what I did was start from point B, go towards pt A.

So...

Vx + RI + 2Vx = Vba
(-2.5V) + (3kOhm)(-.25mA) + 2(-2.5) =

Vba = -8.25 V

How I solved part B: I think I got lucky here, cause what I did previously is this:

P = VI = 2Vx * I = 2 (2.5) * .25mA... Notice it's + * + = +.. whereas it could be - * - = +, so my online HW told me it was right. However, now I'm skeptical about the sign of my amp when computing Vba.

However, when I recalculated my current (I forgot to negate it while goign CCW), I come out with a negative current. So, I'm curious, is my Vba answer correct?

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I did this problem, I had my current's reference direction going counter clockwise (this would be satisfying the passive sign convention being that the voltage drop across the 10k goes from a high potential on the bottom terminal to a lower potential on the top, according to the reference voltage Vx)

When I solved for the current, I got a negative current, So from then on I just worked the circuit with current going CW. I got the same answer as you. I think you'll be fine as long as you stick with your reference current direction until you get an answer for it, then you'll know whether your chosen direction was correct or not.

I see what you did, thanks for working the problem out. So, do you think that my Vba is correct?

The first part is correct. For part b, the power supplied/absorbed by the dependent source is, according to the passive sign convention, 2Vx multiply the current from the +terminal to -terminal. This means 2(-2.5)*(-0.25mA) which gives you a positive answer and that indicates power dissipated.

1. What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

The purpose of circuit analysis is to understand and predict the behavior of electric circuits. This includes determining the voltage, current, and power in each component of the circuit.

2. What are the basic elements of a circuit?

The basic elements of a circuit include a voltage source, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These elements are connected together in a closed loop to allow for the flow of electricity.

3. How do you calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Voltage is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Current is calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance. Resistance is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current.

4. What is Kirchhoff's Laws and how are they used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two basic principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. These laws are used to analyze and solve complex circuits.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end to end, creating only one path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for current to flow. This results in different voltage and current values for each component in the circuit.