1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic circuit analysis. Tried to do using integral method but stuck &ran out of ideas

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current flowing through an element is i = 2 A for 0<t<1 and i = 2t^2 A for t>1
    Calculate the charge entering the element from t=0s to t=2s.
    Answer: 6.667 C.

2. Relevant equations
    I used Q=t1∫t2 i dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve using integral method. but how to proceed here as for 0<t<1 i is constant and i am stuck. Are there any other methods.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    Re: Basic circuit analysis. Tried to do using integral method but stuck &ran out of i

I think this is a very basic problem but still I cannot do it because i am a newbie and may be to need work harder. Sorry for consuming your time.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Basic circuit analysis. Tried to do using integral method but stuck &ran out of i

If the current is constant over a given time interval, how much charge is accumulated? Remember, 1 ampere = 1 coulomb / second.

Why did you chose the integral method to solve this problem if you cannot integrate a constant function?

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

Thank you for pointing out. I made this post in hurry without thinking. And now i got the answer myself.

for 0s to 1s i = 2A so q = 2C

for 1s to 2 s i calculated by integrating i wrt dt between 1s to 2s

and added two values and the answer is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook