Circuit Analysis: Solving the Mystery of V3's Voltage Directionality

In summary, Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that voltage is the difference in electric potential between two points. It is always measured in terms of positive numbers (going towards the power source) and negative numbers (going away from the power source). This is important because it allows for calculations to be made easily.
squiggles
Hi guys. Really elementary question here, I've been kicking myself for ages trying to figure this out, but I suppose everybody needs a little nudge sometimes.

I have been staring at this circuit diagram:

tsVhvmk.png

From this page:

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/eLessonsHTML/Basic/Basic5Kv.html

which is basically a rundown of Kirchoff's Voltage Law, and I have been wracking my brain for why voltage V3 is labeled (-) with respect to the power source and (+) with respect to ground.

If I follow a current running from the positive terminal of the power source, then it splits up into the two branches to go through R2 or R3 and R4, respectively. The directionality of the voltage (to my intuition) should be the same for V3 as it is for V4. It is dropping voltage, not adding to it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing it was done to teach a concept. I would never label it that way in real life.

In this case, all it means is that V3 is probably going to be a negative number (and V4 will be positive).

Second for post #2.
When sliderules roamed the Earth and i was being taught KVL , teacher made it a major point to write those little polarity + & - signs .
He said emphatically: "If polarity is not intuitive by looking, just guess - if you guess wrong you'll get a negative number for that one. It only means you guessed wrong, your answer will be correct for the polarity you've shown. "
That's why it is so important to be rigorous and neat in your algebra. No shortcuts or you'll start dropping signs.

old jim

Okay, so it's just for the sake of making a point. Thanks you guys!

I just want to check that it's the same for KCL: pick your current directions, and if you're wrong, then you'll get a negative sign for that particular branch of current.

Also, "when sliderules roamed the earth". lol.

Yes, same for KCL.

Meticulous attention to detail will pay off down the road. Form your good habits early.

Thank you sirs, I will watch my signs with care.

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is a process used by scientists and engineers to understand the behavior and characteristics of an electrical circuit. It involves using mathematical methods and techniques to analyze the voltage, current, and resistance of different components in a circuit.

2. How does circuit analysis work?

Circuit analysis involves applying Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to solve for the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in a circuit. This is typically done by creating a system of equations and using algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values.

3. What is V3's voltage directionality in circuit analysis?

V3's voltage directionality refers to the direction of voltage flow in a specific branch or component in a circuit. It can be determined by applying Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage gains.

4. Why is solving the mystery of V3's voltage directionality important?

Understanding V3's voltage directionality is crucial for accurate circuit analysis and troubleshooting. It allows scientists and engineers to properly analyze the behavior of a circuit and identify any potential issues or malfunctions.

5. What are some common tools used in circuit analysis?

Some common tools used in circuit analysis include multimeters, oscilloscopes, circuit simulators, and specialized software programs. These tools help scientists and engineers measure and analyze various electrical parameters in a circuit, such as voltage, current, and resistance.