How Do You Correctly Calculate Vk in a Basic Circuit Using KVL?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter J.live
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Kvl
In summary, KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. It can be applied to any type of circuit and is used to find voltage values in both DC and AC circuits. However, it has limitations as it assumes ideal components and does not account for external factors. Alternative methods such as KCL and Ohm's Law can be used in conjunction with KVL for more complex circuit analysis.
J.live

Homework Statement

Find the value of Vk

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2s6x005.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming dependent Vk = 12i

-60 + 4i + 12i + 12i = 0

-60 + 28i = 0

i = 2.14

Vk = 12 * 2.14 = 25 .68 ?

Answer is 18. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct.

1. What is KVL in basic circuits and how does it work?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. This means that the voltage gained in a circuit must be equal to the voltage lost, allowing for the conservation of energy in a circuit.

2. How do I apply KVL to find the Vk value in a basic circuit?

To apply KVL, you need to first identify the closed loop in your circuit. Then, assign a direction to the current flow in the loop. Next, write an equation using the voltage drops and gains in the loop, setting it equal to zero. Finally, solve for the unknown voltage, Vk, using algebraic techniques.

3. Can KVL be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, KVL can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and combination circuits. It is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is used to find voltage values in both DC and AC circuits.

4. What are the limitations of KVL in circuit analysis?

KVL assumes that the circuit is a closed loop and that the components in the loop are ideal. This means that it does not account for non-ideal components such as resistors with varying resistance values. It also does not take into account external factors such as temperature and noise.

5. Are there any alternative methods to KVL for finding voltage values in circuits?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. Ohm's Law, on the other hand, relates voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. These methods can be used in conjunction with KVL to analyze and solve complex circuits.