1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic circuit problem

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the circuit below, VS = 65 V, R1 = 64 Ω, R2 = 190 Ω, R3 = 90 Ω, R4 = 290 Ω.
    Find:

(a) The equivalent resistance (Req) at the dashed line
    (b) v1
    (c) v2
    (d) i4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the equivalent resistance of the circuit (139.612 [itex]\Omega[/itex]) by collapsing the circuit step-by-step, but that didn't seem to work. Apparently this line is referring to something else, and I'm not sure what to do.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 3-4.png
      3-4.png
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you show the steps you took to find the equivalent resistance? I'm not seeing the same result.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    First I combine R3 and R4 (290+90) which gives 380. Then I combine that with its parallel R2 (190) which gives 1/[(1/380)+(1/190)] = 126.66, then I add that to R1 (64) which gives 190.66, then combine it with its parallel (50), giving 39.612, which I then add to the last resistor, 100, to get 139.612 ohms. If I am making a mistake, I'd like to know where.

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

gneill

Ah. That last resistor, 100 Ω, is also in parallel, not in series; You're want to look at the circuit from the point of view of where the dotted line is, not from where VS is connected.

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    Okay, well I'm not sure how to handle it at that point then. I did everything the same as before, only with 100 in parallel, but that didn't seem to work, so I'm all out of ideas.

7. Sep 12, 2013 #6

gneill

What value did you get?

8. Sep 12, 2013 #7
    28.373 ohms

9. Sep 12, 2013 #8

gneill

That's what I'm seeing, too. So...

It's just possible that they want the equivalent resistance for the network to the left of the dotted line only. This would be a common step that one might do if one wanted to replace that piece of the circuit with a Thevenin equivalent for the source and network (you may or may not have learned about Thevenin equivalents yet).

10. Sep 12, 2013 #9
    Definitely not, considering this is the homework for just day 3 of circuits 1.

11. Sep 12, 2013 #10

gneill

Well, I don't know what else to suggest. That's the only likely alternative interpretation of the question that springs to mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted