Basic Circuit Homework: Is Vx Connected?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Neophyte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: However, since the 3.9k resistor is in parallel with the 14V supply, it will not affect the voltage at Vx. The voltage at Vx will be determined solely by the 14V supply and the 4.7k resistor in series with it.In summary, the voltage at Vx is determined by the 14V supply and the 4.7k resistor in series with it. The 3.9k resistor at the bottom is in parallel with the 14V supply and will not affect the voltage at Vx. Vx is an output and its actual voltage will depend on the load connected to the circuit.
Neophyte

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1456/pforum.png [Broken]

Is the Vx in this connected to the 14[V] source and the 3.9 [kΩ]? I basically just want to look at it like a voltage source but I think it is incorrect. I mean can it still be considered a closed loop? :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neophyte said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1456/pforum.png [Broken]

Is the Vx in this connected to the 14[V] source and the 3.9 [kΩ]? I basically just want to look at it like a voltage source but I think it is incorrect. I mean can it still be considered a closed loop? :redface:

I would interpret it as just a label for the voltage difference between those two points, unless the problem statement says something otherwise. So for example, since it is an open circuit (not a voltage source), there is no current flowing in the 3.9k resistor at the bottom, and therefore no voltage difference across it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vx looks like an output, so you would include the 14 V supply and 3.9K resistor after you had worked out the resultant voltage and Thevenin resistance of the other components.

The actual voltage at Vx would depend on what load you connect to these points.

1. How do I know if Vx is connected?

To determine if Vx is connected, you can use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between Vx and the other components in the circuit. If the resistance is not infinite, then Vx is connected.

2. What should the voltage at Vx be?

The voltage at Vx depends on the components in the circuit. It can be calculated using Ohm's law (V = IR) or Kirchhoff's circuit laws. It is important to note that the voltage at Vx may vary depending on the current flowing through the circuit.

3. What happens if Vx is not connected?

If Vx is not connected, it will not receive any voltage or current from the circuit. This can result in a malfunctioning circuit or no output from the circuit. It is important to ensure that Vx is connected properly to avoid any issues.

4. Can Vx be connected to multiple components?

Yes, Vx can be connected to multiple components in the circuit. This is often seen in series circuits where Vx is connected to multiple resistors. The voltage at Vx will be divided among the components based on their individual resistances.

5. How can I troubleshoot if Vx is not working?

If Vx is not working, you can use a multimeter to check if there is any voltage at the point where it should be connected. If there is no voltage, then there may be an issue with the power supply or the connection to Vx. You can also check for any faulty components or loose connections in the circuit.