Find R3 for Max Power in Basic Circuit Question

• Engineering
  • Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about finding a resistance, RL, to replace R3 in a circuit in order to draw maximum power from the sources. The suggested approach is to set R3 to be the total Thévenin resistance of the circuit, which was calculated to be 471.1 Ohms. However, the book suggests using a value of 330 Ohms for RL, which is slightly higher than the calculated Thévenin resistance.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Find a resistance, RL, to replace R3, that will draw maximum power from the sources

Homework Equations

RL=RTH

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I correct in saying if I set R3 to be Rth of the whole circuit, it would draw maximum power?

I calculated based on that
1/(1/(120+680) +1/(820+330)) = 471.1 Ohm Rth

I am not sure if I should have included the 100Ohm resistor(R3) in the calculation or not.

Attachments

• r3remove.png
    r3remove.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
R3 = Rth should work.

The 100Ω is not part of these calculations.

Likes orangeincup
NascentOxygen said:
R3 = Rth should work.

The 100Ω is not part of these calculations.
My book ssys the answer is 330Ohm, did I do the calculation wrong?

My book ssys the answer is 330Ohm, did I do the calculation wrong?
The Thévenin resistance is a little over 330Ω so looks like that's the approach they intend.

Determine the Thévenin resistance of each source, then these are added in series.

Last edited:

Your attempt at a solution is correct. In order to draw maximum power from the sources, the resistance of RL should be equal to the total equivalent resistance of the circuit (RTH). This means that the 100 Ohm resistor (R3) should be included in the calculation of RTH. Therefore, the correct value for RL would be 471.1 Ohm.

What is R3 and why is it important in a basic circuit?

R3 is a resistor that is a part of the basic circuit. It is important because it determines the amount of current that flows through the circuit, which in turn affects the power output of the circuit.

How do I find the value of R3 for maximum power in a basic circuit?

To find the value of R3 for maximum power, you can use the formula P = (V^2)/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. Set the derivative of this formula with respect to R equal to 0 and solve for R.

What happens if I choose the wrong value for R3 in a basic circuit?

If you choose a value for R3 that is too high, it will limit the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, resulting in a lower power output. If you choose a value that is too low, it can cause the circuit to overheat and potentially damage the components.

Can I use a variable resistor for R3 in a basic circuit?

Yes, you can use a variable resistor for R3 in a basic circuit. This will allow you to adjust the resistance and find the optimal value for maximum power output.

Is R3 the only factor that affects the power output of a basic circuit?

No, there are other factors that can affect the power output of a basic circuit, such as the voltage and the other resistors in the circuit. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing a circuit for maximum power output.