Understanding Basic Circuits: Solving Voltages and Setting Up KVL Equations

• Engineering
  • Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: If it is positive, then you found the current is flowing in the correct direction.Assuming that current flows in one direction will not give you a wrong answer, it will give you either a positive or negative answer. If it is negative, it simply means that the current is flowing in the opposite direction than you assumed, but you didn't get the "wrong answer". If it is positive, then you found the current is flowing in the correct direction.
suspenc3
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6926/ccts3lg1.th.jpg

I understand how to solve these...kinda, how do you know what way the voltages are flowing? I always thought that wou were just suppose to draw a direction and the equations will work themselves out (Or is this just for resistor voltages?)

How do you know what way the voltages from the batteries are flowing, so I can set up KVL equations?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ccts3.JPG
    ccts3.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
suspenc3 said:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6926/ccts3lg1.th.jpg

I understand how to solve these...kinda, how do you know what way the voltages are flowing? I always thought that wou were just suppose to draw a direction and the equations will work themselves out (Or is this just for resistor voltages?)

How do you know what way the voltages from the batteries are flowing, so I can set up KVL equations?

Thanks.

Your image isn't showing up, but i'll try to answer your q's without. You assume a direction for the current, if the direction is not given. If they don't give you the polarity of the voltage source, then you just have to assume which side is + or -.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just attached it too, it might take a while to get approved though. I drew in my guesses, i think that the long line is (+) and the short line is (-)?

Also, I really don't understand thevenin equivalents, do you know of any good online tutorials or anything?All the book examples only have resistors in the circuits, but I have questions with a bunch of batteries, resistors and current sources.

Last edited:
Just like summing up forces and torques, you are supposed to arbitrarily guess a direction for each current and be consistent with it. If the math gives you a negative answer, then you know the current actually flows in the opposite direction

yeah, but doing that gives you the wrong answers, at least "assuming" the direction of battery voltages, don't you only "assume" resistor voltage directions? I think I figured out how to know what direction it flows in though (batteries).

Yea, you don't assume polarities for resistor voltages. What I meant about assuming polarities for voltages sources, is when the question asks you find the polarity of the voltage source. In your case, the polarities are given.

suspenc3 said:
i think that the long line is (+) and the short line is (-)?

That's right. You need to learn what the standard symbols for drawing circuit diagrams mean, otherwise you will not make much progress! The main point of having standard symbols is to give the all the information clearly, and without needing words to explain the details every time.

suspenc3 said:
yeah, but doing that gives you the wrong answers, at least "assuming" the direction of battery voltages, don't you only "assume" resistor voltage directions? I think I figured out how to know what direction it flows in though (batteries).

some sources will absorb power, and some will supply power. You can't always tell by looking at it which way the current is flowing, and thus you must assume a direction and solve from there. Assuming that current flows in one direction will not give you a wrong answer, it will give you either a positive or negative answer. If it is negative, it simply means that the current is flowing in the opposite direction than you assumed, but you didn't get the "wrong answer".

What is a basic circuit?

A basic circuit is a closed loop through which electric current can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires, and a load, which is the device that uses the electricity.

What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, so the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, so the current can flow through multiple paths simultaneously.

What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. It resists the flow of electricity, which can help prevent damage to components and regulate the voltage in a circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. So, if you have three resistors in series with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 60 ohms (10 + 20 + 30 = 60 ohms).

What is the difference between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC)?

AC is a type of current that changes direction periodically, while DC flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for power distribution, while DC is used for electronics and small devices. AC can be converted to DC using a device called a rectifier.