1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Circuits: Voltage Divider

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is more of a theoretical question than an actual numerical problem (so mods please move if this is in the wrong place).

The circuit below was copied from my book. Ultimately we are discussing the voltage divider. The book goes on to say that V0 is the voltage drop across R2. But I thought that conventional current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. This would mean that V0 is the voltage drop across R1, right? Is it the voltage drop I have confused or the voltage divider? or both? Thank you for your help anyone!

Circuit_1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The conductor connecting the negative terminal of the battery with the bottom of R2 is commonly considered to be at zero Volts. Thus, V0 is equal to the voltage dropped across R2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook