1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic collision help needed

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Some days ago and specially yesterday I realized I have a strong weakness when it comes to elastic collision problems. Unfortunately I disregarded it and I couldn't finish an exercise in a test today.

2. Relevant equations
    Linear momentum is conserved ([tex]\vec{P_{i}}=\vec{P_f}}[/tex]) and so is the kinetic energy of the system. (Two bodies)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well in fact say you have 2 particles, [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]. [tex]m_2[/tex] is initially at rest while [tex]m_1[/tex] has a speed of [tex]\frac{4m}{s}[/tex].
    If [tex]m_1[/tex] hits [tex]m_2[/tex], what would be the speed of [tex]m_2[/tex]?

I get that [tex]m_1v_1=m_1v_1'+m_2v_2'[/tex] [1]. One equation, two unknowns: [tex]v_1'[/tex] and [tex]v_2'[/tex].
    Have I to work it out using the equation of the kinetic energy? [tex]\frac{m_1v_1^2}{2}=\frac{m_1v_1^2'}{2}+\frac{m_2v_2^2'}{2}[/tex]. I solve for [tex]v_1'[/tex] and back substitute it in [1]. Is it the way to find out [tex]v_1'[/tex] and [tex]v_2'[/tex]?
    If yes then I thought about it during the test but I was too lazy to do it... (it doesn't count for my average but still, I should have done that).
    Thanks for your confirmation or infirmation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much iseidthat!
    That doesn't answer my question I think, but at least I've learned that [tex]v_1'=\left( \frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2}\right) v_1[/tex] and that [tex]v_2'[/tex] can be determinate by a given formula.
    Ok, I'll try to answer my question by my own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?