1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic comparison test

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    sum(1/n!,n,1,inf)
    the only thing i can think of is
    1/n^2>=1/n! , 1/n^2 being a convergent p series since p >1
    thus /n! is convergent

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

nameVoid could you start putting some effort into your posts perhaps? In particular use the template and state your question plus your work clearly.

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3
    whats the syntax for definite integral

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You should split off the first few terms to make the comparison with 1/n^2 more accurate.

The syntax for a definite integral is [ tex] \int_{lowerlimit}^{upperlimit} [ /tex].

This is not true for all n, take n=2 for example.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

If you are investigating the series

[tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n!}
    [/tex]

then you can use

[tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 {n^2}
    [/tex]

and compare terms (and the second series IS a convergent p-series: I'm not sure what Cyosis was getting at).

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I was getting at the fact that for the first few terms the inequality doesn't hold. So concluding right away that one converges may bit a bit of a jump hence I suggested to write out the first few terms until the inequality indeed holds.

8. Aug 13, 2009 #7
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n![/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{n!}\leq\frac{1}{n^2} , n\geq 4[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n^2:convergent [/tex]
    [tex]b_{n}=\sum_{n=4}^{\infty}1/n^2\geq\sum_{n=4}^{\infty}1/n!=a_{n}[/tex]
    i believe there is a property which states that if
    [tex]\sum_{n=c}^{\infty}a_{n}[/tex]
    is convergent then the series converges for all n>=1 in any case here are the first few terms
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n^2=1+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{25}....[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}1/n!=1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{24}+\frac{1}{120}....[/tex]
    this seems to confirm things

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  9. Aug 13, 2009 #8
    Looks fine to me. Good work. But you might want to prove that 1/n! <= 1/n^2 for n>= 4.

10. Aug 13, 2009 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just as a side note, a series almost identical to yours--
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}[/tex]
    -- converges to a number that is familiar to all mathematicians. Note that 0!, by definition, is 1.

11. Aug 13, 2009 #10
    Does the question state explicitly that you need to use the Comparison Test? If not, then you may want to try using the Ratio Test, which I think works equally well in this case and you don't need to do induction to check what you're comparing this against actually works.

Denote [tex]a_n = 1/n![/tex]. Then see that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |a_{n+1}/a_n| = \lim \dfrac{1}{(n+1)!}\cdot n! = \lim \dfrac{n!}{(n+1)n!} = \lim \dfrac{1}{n+1} = 0 = \limsup |a_{n+1} / a_n| < 1 [/tex]. Thus, by the Ratio Test, this converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook