Find a Free BASIC Compiler: Solutions & Resources

In summary, a BASIC compiler is a software tool that converts BASIC programming language into machine code. A free BASIC compiler can be useful for learning and practicing programming without having to purchase expensive software. These can be found on websites and online communities. While they may have fewer features compared to paid ones, they can still be powerful tools for learning and basic programming tasks. Some free BASIC compilers allow for commercial use, but it's important to check the specific license and terms of use before using them for commercial purposes.
madmike159
Gold Member
Does anyone know of a good (free) BASIC compiler?

Technology news on Phys.org
madmike159 said:
Does anyone know of a good (free) BASIC compiler?

I use MinGW with Dev-C++

Hope that helps :smile:

Is that a add on or is it included. Can you tell me where to get it or how to access it?

That's not a BASIC compiler, that's a C++ compiler!

Microsoft's Visual Basic is a possibility, depending on what you think of as BASIC.

1. What is a BASIC compiler?

A BASIC compiler is a software tool that converts source code written in the BASIC programming language into machine code, which can be understood and executed by a computer.

2. Why would I need a free BASIC compiler?

A free BASIC compiler can be useful for individuals or organizations who want to learn and practice programming in BASIC without having to purchase expensive software. It can also be used for small projects or personal use.

3. Where can I find a free BASIC compiler?

There are several websites and online communities that offer free BASIC compilers, such as FreeBASIC, QB64, and TinyBASIC. These can be easily found through a quick internet search.

4. Are free BASIC compilers as good as paid ones?

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. Free BASIC compilers may have fewer features and support compared to paid ones, but they can still be powerful tools for learning and basic programming tasks.

5. Can I use a free BASIC compiler for commercial purposes?

Some free BASIC compilers have licenses that allow for commercial use, while others may have restrictions. It's important to check the specific license and terms of use for each compiler before using it for commercial purposes.