1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Conceptual Question regarding a tangential/radial accel formula [Pythagorean?]

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reviewing a chapter relating linear and angular kinematics, and I came across this equation.. why does it work and where does it come from? I can't seem to find anything in the textbook explaining it.

2. Relevant equations

a = sqrt( (tangential acceleration)2 + (radial acceleration)2 )

3. The attempt at a solution

I know all of the basics quite well, I just don't understand where this formula came from! All help will be very appreciated. Please dont go too in depth and waste your time! A simple answer should definitely suffice! Thank you! .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    Re: Basic Conceptual Question regarding a tangential/radial accel formula [Pythagorea

Pythagoras theorem: a2 = ...

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    Re: Basic Conceptual Question regarding a tangential/radial accel formula [Pythagorea

Additionally, why does the square root of the two squares of acceleration equal the total. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about "Drawing a triangle" or anything like that.

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

Hi AJBalbirnie
    The tangential acceleration and radial acceleration are orthogonal to each other. they are the components of the total acceleration.
    So the triangle you are looking for is: the hypotenuse is the total acceleration and the other sides are the tangential and radial components

6. Nov 26, 2012 #5

Thank you. The issue is more visual to me than actually knowing the sides of the triangle though. Thanks.

7. Nov 26, 2012 #6

The orthogonal part makes it all go together though. Thank you.

8. Nov 26, 2012 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An object or particle moving along a curved path always expeiences an acceleration directed radially inward toward the center of the curve. This is called centripetal or radial acceleration. At the same time, the particle or object may also be accelerating along the path of the curve (its circumference, if the path is circular) , which is a tangential acceleration perpendicular to the radial acceleration. Acceleration is a vector, and the total acceleration is the resultant acceleration of the two perpendicular vectors, per Pythagoras. As an example, an object moving in a horizontal circle with constant speed experiences a radial acceleration but no tangential acceleration, while an object like a roller coaster moving in a vertical circle experiences both a radial and tangential acceleration.

In the future, please post questions related to your understanding of general Physics , that are not specific homework questions, in the General Physics sub-forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook