Does Coulomb's Law Apply Equally to Unequal Charges?

In summary, according to Newton's Third Law, the magnitude of the electric force that q1 exerts on q2 is equal to the magnitude of the electric force that q2 exerts on q1. This is because the forces between the two charges are always equal and opposite, regardless of the magnitude of the charges themselves. The equation used to calculate the electric force between two point charges is F=k(abs(q1q2)/r2, as given by Coulomb's Law.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

Two point charges, q1 and q2, are separated by a distance r. If the absolute value of q1 < the absolute value of q2, then

a) The magnitude of the electric force that q1 exerts on q2 is greater than the magnitude of the electric force that q2 exerts on q1.
b) The magnitude of the electric force that q1 exerts on q2 is less than the magnitude of the electric force that q2 exerts on q1.
c). The magnitudes of the forces are equal.

Homework Equations

F=k(abs(q1q2)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that the answer should be C. I'm not completely sure why. Is this correct? If so, how do you know?

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

Two point charges, q1 and q2, are separated by a distance r. If the absolute value of q1 < the absolute value of q2, then

a) The magnitude of the electric force that q1 exerts on q2 is greater than the magnitude of the electric force that q2 exerts on q1.
b) The magnitude of the electric force that q1 exerts on q2 is less than the magnitude of the electric force that q2 exerts on q1.
c). The magnitudes of the forces are equal.

Homework Equations

F=k(abs(q1q2)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that the answer should be C. I'm not completely sure why. Is this correct? If so, how do you know?

Thanks in advanced.

Simple:

Newton's Third Law

PeterO said:
Simple:

Newton's Third Law

Oops, Duh! Thank you for the response, I wasn't thinking for a second there haha. :)

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a basic principle in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

The mathematical formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force of attraction or repulsion, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law is Coulomb (C). This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first described the law.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law applies to both positive and negative charges. The force between two like charges is repulsive, while the force between two opposite charges is attractive.

5. How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.