Derivation of g Factor and Missing Basic Steps in Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of angular momentum operators and how to compute the component of angular momentum in a particular direction. The ## g_J ## factor is found by computing the component of ## \vec{L} ## along ## \vec{J} ## and putting it in the ## \vec{J}/|\vec{J}| ## direction, resulting in a ## |\vec{J}^2|=(J+1)(J)(\hbar)^2 ## in the denominator. The link mentioned mistakenly includes the magnitude of ## \vec{J} ## and does not only consider its direction. This is discussed further in the conversation, with the conclusion that the summation in the link may be necessary but is somewhat
TheCanadian
Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 10.42.58 PM.png

I was just going through the calculation to go from the top line to the bottom and was just not arriving at the same result. Working backwards and just looking at the first term (i.e. the one with coefficient ##g_L## I get):

## \frac {J^2 + J + L^2 + L - S^2 - S}{2(J^2 + J)} = \frac {L^2 + S^2 + 2LS + L + S + L^2 + L - S^2 - S}{2(L^2 + S^2 + 2LS + L + S)} = \frac{L^2 + LS + L}{J(J + 1)} ## (assuming L and S commute)

Although this is not equivalent to the above expression and it appears I am missing something very basic. Any help with this would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
These angular momentum operators behave in a somewhat odd fashion, e.g. ## \vec{L}^2=(L+1)(L) (\hbar)^2 ## and ##\vec{S}^2=(S+1)(S)(\hbar)^2 ## and ## \vec{J}^2= (\vec{L}+\vec{S})^2=\vec{L}^2+2 \vec{L} \cdot \vec{S}+\vec{S}^2 ##. From this last expression, one can solve for ## \vec{L} \cdot \vec{S} ##. The ## g_J ## factor is found by computing the component of ## \vec{L} ## along ## \vec{J} ## by taking ## \vec{L} \cdot \vec{J}/|\vec{J}| ## and putting it in the ## \vec{J}/|\vec{J}| ## direction. The result is a ## |\vec{J}^2|=(J+1)(J)(\hbar)^2 ## in the denominator. (Similarly for the ## S ## term, with a ## g_L ## on the ## L ## term and a ## g_S ## on the ## S ## term.)

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
These angular momentum operators behave in a somewhat odd fashion, e.g. ## \vec{L}^2=(L+1)(L) (\hbar)^2 ## and ##\vec{S}^2=(S+1)(S)(\hbar)^2 ## and ## \vec{J}^2= (\vec{L}+\vec{S})^2=\vec{L}^2+2 \vec{L} \cdot \vec{S}+\vec{S}^2 ##. From this last expression, one can solve for ## \vec{L} \cdot \vec{S} ##. The ## g_J ## factor is found by computing the component of ## \vec{L} ## along ## \vec{J} ## by taking ## \vec{L} \cdot \vec{J}/|\vec{J}| ## and putting it in the ## \vec{J}/|\vec{J}| ## direction. The result is a ## |\vec{J}^2|=(J+1)(J)(\hbar)^2 ## in the denominator. (Similarly for the ## S ## term, with a ## g_L ## on the ## L ## term and a ## g_S ## on the ## S ## term.)

Thank you for the explanation. It appears in this link (towards the end, above the equations I posted above) that they mistakenly include the magnitude of ## \vec{J}##and did not only consider its direction.

TheCanadian said:
Thank you for the explanation. It appears in this link (towards the end, above the equations I posted above) that they mistakenly include the magnitude of ## \vec{J}##and did not only consider its direction.
I think I see what they did. They take ## \vec{\mu_J}=g_J \mu_B \vec{J} ## and dot both sides with ## \vec{J} ##. They then solve for ## g_J ##. The ## \vec{J}^2 ## winds up in the denominator. (Note ## \vec{\mu_J}=\vec{\mu_L} +\vec{\mu_S} ##). Their summation is a somewhat clumsy, but perhaps necessary step. In any case, I think you are starting to get a handle on the topic.

1. What is the g factor?

The g factor, also known as the general intelligence factor, is a statistical measure that represents a person's overall cognitive ability. It is a common factor that underlies various mental abilities, such as problem-solving, abstract reasoning, and verbal comprehension.

2. How is the g factor calculated?

The g factor is calculated through a process called factor analysis, which involves analyzing the correlations between different cognitive tests. The g factor is then extracted as the primary factor that explains the majority of the variance in these tests.

3. Is the g factor genetic or environmental?

Research has shown that the g factor is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors. Studies on identical twins raised separately have found a high correlation in their g factor scores, suggesting a strong genetic component. However, environmental factors such as education and socio-economic status can also impact a person's g factor.

4. Can the g factor be improved?

The g factor is a stable measure of cognitive ability that is difficult to change. However, through education and training, individuals can improve specific skills and abilities that contribute to their overall g factor score. These improvements may also lead to an increase in overall cognitive functioning.

5. How is the g factor related to intelligence?

The g factor is strongly correlated with intelligence, as it represents the underlying factor that contributes to a person's overall cognitive ability. However, it is not the only factor that determines intelligence, as other factors such as motivation, creativity, and emotional intelligence also play a role in a person's intellectual abilities.