Is My Understanding of Basic Derivatives Correct?

• Thread starter ggcheck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of exponential functions, specifically d/dx(e^{x+1}) and d/dx(e^{-x}). The conversation also touches on the use of the quotient rule and provides an explanation for a homework problem. The conversation ends with a thank you and a question about the software used to type out mathematical equations.
ggcheck
[SOLVED] basic derivative question

since d/dx(e^x) = e^x

does d/dx(e^[-x]) = e^[-x]

and d/dx(e^[x+1])= e^(x+1)

the answer to one of my homework problems is different from my friends and I think that it is because I am mistaken about the stuff I just posted

Physics news on Phys.org
No; [itex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{f(x)})=f'(x)e^{f(x)}[/itex]. Since in your first case, f(x)=1. f'(x)=1 so it doesn't matter, but it does for the second.

hmmm, what is wrong with this:

d/dx(e^(x+1)) = d/dx(e^[x] * e^[1]) = e^[x] * d/dx(e) + e * d/dx(e^x) = e^x * (0) + e * e^[x]= e^(x+1)

ggcheck said:
hmmm, what is wrong with this:

d/dx(e^(x+1)) = d/dx(e^[x] * e^[1]) = e^[x] * d/dx(e) + e * d/dx(e^x) = e^x * (0) + e * e^[x]= e^(x+1)

Nothing; that's correct. Alternatively, using the notation in my previous post, we have that f(x)=x+1, and so f'(x)=1 => d/dx(e^{x+1})=e^{x+1}

I thought you said that the second one isn't true?

I am confused; is d/dx(e^(x+1)) = e^(x+1)

ggcheck said:
I thought you said that the second one isn't true?

I did; the second one being d/dx(e^{-x}).

how can I find the derivative of e^[-x]

sorry for the confusion

wait, I did this to it... does this work:

e^-x = 1/e^x = e^x(0) + (1)(e^x)

cristo said:
Read post #2. If you have problems understanding that, then feel free to ask anything specific. I can't help you if you don't read what I write, can I?
I read post #2, I'm not familiar with that notation... I have never seen it before.

ggcheck said:
wait, I did this to it... does this work:

e^-x = 1/e^x = e^x(0) + (1)(e^x)

No, you need to use the quotient rule to differentiate quotients, something you may not have done yet.

Instead, read post #2. What is f(x) in this case?

cristo said:
No, you need to use the quotient rule to differentiate quotients, something you may not have done yet.

Instead, read post #2. What is f(x) in this case?
f(x) = -x

right?

ggcheck said:
f(x) = -x

right?

Correct. So, what's f'(x)? Note that the prime here just means "derivative wrt x" so, f'(x)=d/dx(f(x))=d/dx(-x)

[NB: I deleted my post a few above, the one you quoted, as it seemed a little abrupt. Sorry about that.]

which is -1?

ggcheck said:
which is -1?

Yup, and so, using the formula in #2, what is the derivative of e^{-x}?

-e^{-x} ?

ggcheck said:
-e^{-x} ?

Correct!

ugh, I am screwing up somewhere here...

e^{-x} = 1/(e^x) if I apply the quotient rule... [e^x * (0) - (1) * e^x] / (e^x)^2

-(e^x)/(e^{2x})

EDIT: switched signs

Last edited:
nm, after I cancel I get the same thing...

thank you very much for your help

would you mind taking a look at the problem that started all of this madness?

d/dx[e^(x+1) + e^x]/(e+1)

the answer that I got was e^x

ggcheck said:
d/dx[e^(x+1) + e^x]/(e+1)

the answer that I got was e^x

Well, this is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{e+1}\frac{d}{dx}(e^{x+1}+e^x})[/tex]. From above, we know that d/dx(e^x)=e^x, and d/dx(e^{x+1})=e^{x+1}, so we obtain [tex]\frac{e^x+e^{x+1}}{1+e}=\frac{e^x(1+e)}{1+e}=e^x[/tex]

Thanks a lot, btw what software are you using to type that out?

It's latex that's installed on the forum. If you click on advanced reply (or quote a post) then click on the little [itex]\Sigma[/itex] icon on the toolbar you will have a drop down menu to use. Alternatively, simply click on some of the maths to view the input commands.

Thanks again.

ggcheck said:
Thanks again.

You're welcome!

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. In other words, it measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient. Alternatively, there are also various formulas and techniques for finding derivatives of specific types of functions.

3. What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

The purpose of finding a derivative is to understand the behavior and properties of a function. It can be used to find the slope of a curve, determine maximum and minimum values of a function, and analyze the rate of change of a system.

4. Can you give an example of a basic derivative question?

One example of a basic derivative question is finding the derivative of the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x - 2. The answer would be f'(x) = 6x + 5, using the power rule and the constant multiple rule.

5. How is the concept of derivatives used in real life?

The concept of derivatives is used in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict real-world phenomena, such as the velocity of an object, the growth of a population, or the value of a stock.