1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic diff eq math questions

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have some trouble understanding some of my math homework maybe somebody can help me out?

1) find all the values of
    ln(e)
    (-1)^i

I know that i am going to have to use eulers formula in some way i believe but im not really sure what the question is asking, what does it mean all the values?

2)let z= x+iy, where both x and y are real. find the real and imaginary parts for e^(1/z).
    i figure i would have e^(1/x+iy) but where do i go from there?

3) rewrite in the polar form
    (√(z))^(1/n), now this i dont really understand. I can really easily change something like 4 +6i to polar form but this i dont get.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    When things say all values they generally mean the 'general solution'
    Like [itex]ArcCos(1)=2n \pi [/itex]

For part two, you could try multiplying 1/z by 1 in such a way that you end up with a real denominator (you should know how to do this)

For part three you just need to know about how exponents work, what happens when you take the square root of a^x, what happens when you take the nth power of a^x?

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    still dont really understand part 1,

thanks i got part 2, was just a stupid mistake on my part
    and for part 3 i know how exponents work in the sense that i am taking the nth root of z but how does one convert that to a polar form.

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4
    The exponential function is periodic, with period [itex]2\pi i[/itex] (that is, [itex]e^z=e^{z+2\pi i}[/itex] for every [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex]), and the logarithm is defined as the inverse of the exponential. Since the exponential is not one-to-one, the logarithm of a number is not uniquely determined; it's not an actual function on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. The best you can do to find [itex]\log(z)[/itex] is to give a set of complex numbers (differing by integer multiples of [itex]2\pi i[/itex]) whose exponential is [itex]z[/itex].

Likewise, since [itex]a^z[/itex] is defined as [itex]e^{z\log(a)}[/itex], it is also multivalued.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook