1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Differentiation

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Basic Differentiation

Hi there, I've heard that this forum is the best for getting some quick help.

Find the gradient of the tangent to the curve at the given point:
    y = 2x² + 3x + 5 when x = -1

2. Relevant equations
    Right, I'm very new a this, but dy/dx is the way to go right?

3. The attempt at a solution:
    y = 2x² + 3x + 5 when x = -1
    dy/dx it, and I get:
    dy/dx=4x + 3
    Substitute -1 in and I get

So I've now got two points; (-1,-1) but thats not the gradient, but I've got the feeling I'm half way there. Any help would be great thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, first of all (-1, -1) is ONE point, not two! But more important, if dy/dx= 4x+ 3, then putting x=-1 gives you dy/dx= -1, not y. At first I thought that it was a typo but then you say "that's not the gradient". It certainly IS the gradient! You are not "half way there", you are completely there!

(It is true that, if x=-1, y= 2(-1)2+ 3(-1)+ 5= 2- 3+ 5= 4. y= 4 so the graph of the function passes through the point (-1, 4). The tangent line to the curve is y= -1(x+1)+ 4 or y= -x+ 3.)
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    Fantastic, I can finish off the rest of the questions now. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?