1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Discrete math question

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    Before I make a fool of myself let me just say I just had my first class today and the book/ teacher aren't helpful in my question. And I'm not even sure I'm in the right section, this is just my major

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"If 1+1=3 then 2+2=4"

2. Relevant equations
    We just covered conditional statement and its truth table that states if p is false and q is true, then the statement is still true

3. The attempt at a solution

Basic question, following the table given to us, but it doesn't makes sense to me. If 1+1=3 then 2+2=4 , how can the whole statement be true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes
    To quote what you wrote above,

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    WHat I was trying to say is that, it doesn't make sense to me ( how i see it ) that if I state 1+1 = 3 then 2+2=4 then why would the whole statement be true if only half of it is in realitiy.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

Mark44

To re-quote what you wrote above,
    p: 1 + 1 = 3 (false)
    q: 2 + 2 = 4 (true)
    ##p \Rightarrow q## (true)

From the truth table for an implication, the only pair of values of p and q that make the implication false are when p is true and q is false. All other pairs of values for p and q yield a true implication.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  6. Jan 8, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think the important point is being missed.
    Let S be the statement "if p then q". If it turns out that p is false then the statement S is true regardless of whether q is true.
    Thus "if 1+1=3 then 2+2=9" is also a true statement.
    To put it in everyday language, if you start from a false premise then you can deduce anything.
    It is possible that the questioner wants you to illustrate this by a chain of argument that starts with "1+1=3" as a given and ends with "2+2=4". Or, better, ends with "2+2=9".
    Here's how you could do the last one:
    1+1=3
    2+2 = 1+1+1+1 = (1+1)(1+1) = (1+1)2 = 32 = 9

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6

Mark44

I could be wrong, but that's not my take on this problem, which is to recognize that p (1 + 1 = 3) is false, so no matter what q is, the overall implication is true.

8. Jan 8, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I said it was just a possibility. Without seeing the original question verbatim it's hard to know.
    But the main point I wanted to make is that this
    is misleading by being insufficiently general. It should say
    if p is false then the statement is true regardless of the truth or falsehood of q​

9. Jan 9, 2015 #8

RUber

Homework Helper

The truth of the statement is based on the truth or falsehood of the logic, not the parts. The logic is ##p \implies q##. If p is not true, then the logic is true by virtue of the fact it cannot be proven false. There is a large gap between true and useful logic. This logic is true but totally useless, since p is never true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted