Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic doubt abt Geiger counter

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    Hallo friends,
    I have some Geiger counter for detecting Gamma rays...By this meter one can measure in IPS (Intensity per second) or Siever/hour...Now i need to know What is this new unit IPS...Does any one heard about it...or does it directly corresponds to the disintegrations per second (i.e.,decay per second)...Its better for me to know some formulas regarding this IPS..
    thanks for your reply
    Rajini

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Intensity per second" doesn't make sense - I suspect it means detected counts per second.

4. Dec 10, 2007 #3
    No its Impulse per Second...i am sure about...its also given in the manual..Anyways..if u think its intensity per second..then can u give some relation about it...for e.g., converting IPS in to Siever per hour.....this will be helpful for me..
    thanks again
    Rajini

5. Dec 10, 2007 #4
    It depends what the meter face says. Most meter faces read in cpm (counts per minute) or some unit of exposure/dose per hour, but then, it all depends on your make and model number. There is no direct conversion from cpm to exposure rates that is uniform across all makes and models of survey meters. This is due to differences in efficiency/geomtery of the different makes and models.

6. Dec 10, 2007 #5
    actually my radioactive material with a initial activity of 1850 MBq (50 mCi)..so when we expose the counter directly over the radioactive material...what it will show in IPS or in sieverts per hr...or do u think this is mad question...

7. Dec 10, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impulse per second is the same as counts/sec.
    Intensity / second doesn't make sense because intensity is already per second.
    As daveb said you can't easily convert from cps to Sieverts unless the maker supplies a calibration.

8. Dec 10, 2007 #7
    Oh...thanks for the tip..so the manufacturer adopt some calibration conversion...for IPS into S/hr..so there is no relation for this conversion....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?