How Do You Calculate the Force Between Charges in Electrostatics?

• Thread starter xwhyy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the force between two charges, q1 and q2, and a third charge, q3, at a distance r13 = 2*r12 from q1. The solution involves using the equation F12 = [K*(-e)*e]/[(r12)^2] and simplifying the fraction to F13 = 2/4 F12, taking into account the doubling of both the distance and the charge. The net force on charge 3 is not being considered in this calculation.
xwhyy
Hi,
I have a problem with this basic question since it's been a while with my last time with physics :)

Homework Statement

I'm given 2 charges q1=-e and q2=e, attracting each other with force F12 within a distance r12What would be the force F13 between q1 and q3 = 2e on the distance r13 = 2*r12

Homework Equations

basicly, the whole thing looks like that:
(q1) r12 (q2) r12 (q3)
I guess i need to calculate F13 in terms of F12

The Attempt at a Solution

Since

F12 = [K*(-e)*e]/[(r12)^2]
and
F13 = [K*(-e)*e*2]/[(r12)^2*2^2]

I think the proper answer should be
F13 = 2/4 F12

But my feeling is that it looks too simple. Did I forgot about something?
If something is not clear in my question, please let me know.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me, but I'd simplify the fraction.

You are correct and it is that simple. I assume that F13 is the force exerted on charge 3 by charge 1 only and not the net force on charge 3. If that's the case, basically you are doubling the distance and doubling the charge at the same time. Doubling the distance reduces the the force by a factor of 4; doubling the charge increases the force by a factor of 2. Therefore, the overall effect is to multiply the force by a factor of 2/4 as you have shown.

kuruman said:
I assume that F13 is the force exerted on charge 3 by charge 1 only and not the net force on charge 3.
yes, that's the case.
Thank you guys! :)

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. The only thing I would suggest is to use the correct distance in your calculation for F13. Since the distance between q1 and q3 is 2 times the distance between q1 and q2, the correct equation would be:

F13 = [K*(-e)*2e]/[(2*r12)^2]

= [K*(-2e^2)]/[4*(r12)^2]

= (-1/2)F12

So, the force between q1 and q3 is half the force between q1 and q2. This makes sense because q3 is twice as far away from q1 compared to q2, so the force would be weaker.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your physics studies!

What is basic electrostatics?

Basic electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces between them.

What are the fundamental principles of electrostatics?

The fundamental principles of electrostatics include Coulomb's Law, which describes the magnitude of the force between two charged particles; electric field, which is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space; and electric potential, which is a measure of the energy required to move a charged particle from one point to another.

What are some common applications of electrostatics?

Some common applications of electrostatics include electrostatic precipitators for removing pollutants from air, electrostatic painting for coating surfaces, and electrostatic discharge protection in electronic devices.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators in electrostatics?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to move easily. In electrostatics, conductors and insulators have different properties and behaviors when exposed to electric charges.

What are the units of electric charge and electric field?

The SI unit of electric charge is the coulomb (C), and the SI unit of electric field is the newton per coulomb (N/C). However, other units such as the statcoulomb (statC) and volt per meter (V/m) are also commonly used.