How Do I Calculate the Total Resistance in a Circuit with Multiple Resistors?

In summary, the author is trying to find the total resistance of a resistor on a circuit, but can't work out the equation. They have an example where someone used the equation to find the total resistance of a 2 Ohm resistor. V=IR means that 12V=I*2Ohms, or I (the current) = 6A in the example.
Marghk

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to find the total resistance of my resistors in my curcuit I have designed.

Homework Equations

I'm using the equation V = IR, where V = Potential difference in volts, I = Current in Amps and then there's R...

It's a constant of sorts but I can't find it. Measured in ohms.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a 2 Ohm resistor which is to reduce a 12V current. I just need to calculate the resistance from the resistor... but I can't work out the formula.

Sorry if I seem a bit out of it, I haven't slept in days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get some sleep, and then please post more details about your question. We cannot help you figure out how to calculate the total resistance without seeing the circuit. Can you just use series and parallel combinations to simplify the resistor network? If not, then just write the KCL equations and solve for the node voltages, which will then get you to the total equivalent resistance.

I'm just really trying to understand this equation:

V = IR

I have an example here where someone used it to find the total resistance of their resistor on their circuit.

For example. A 12 volt battery connects to a 2 Ohm resistor.

How would you calculate the total resistance made by that 2 ohm resistor? Here is what the example does.

V = IR
R = R1+R2+R3
R = 5.5 + 2
R = 7.5 Ohm

:S

berkeman said:
Get some sleep, and then please post more details about your question. We cannot help you figure out how to calculate the total resistance without seeing the circuit.

Perhaps it's a virtual circuit.

:rimshot:

Marghk said:
I'm just really trying to understand this equation:

V = IR

I have an example here where someone used it to find the total resistance of their resistor on their circuit.

For example. A 12 volt battery connects to a 2 Ohm resistor.

How would you calculate the total resistance made by that 2 ohm resistor? Here is what the example does.

V = IR
R = R1+R2+R3
R = 5.5 + 2
R = 7.5 Ohm

:S

Sorry, that makes no sense. If you have a 2 Ohm resistor, that is the total resistance. V=IR means that 12V=I*2Ohms, or I (the current) = 6A in your example.

berkeman said:
Sorry, that makes no sense. If you have a 2 Ohm resistor, that is the total resistance. V=IR means that 12V=I*2Ohms, or I (the current) = 6A in your example.

Sorry about this. I'll get some sleep and rethink the question.

Thanks for the help anyway :D

1. What is the definition of electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the use of electrical components and systems to generate, transmit, and control power and information.

2. What are the fundamental principles of electrical engineering?

The fundamental principles of electrical engineering include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, electromagnetism, and circuit analysis. These principles provide the basis for understanding and designing electrical circuits and systems.

3. What are the key components used in electrical engineering?

The key components used in electrical engineering include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components are used to control and manipulate the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. What are the applications of electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering has a wide range of applications, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, electronics, control systems, and computer hardware. It is also used in various industries such as transportation, healthcare, and manufacturing.

5. What skills are required to excel in basic electrical engineering?

To excel in basic electrical engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and circuit analysis. Additionally, skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are crucial for understanding and designing complex electrical systems.