1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic electricity problem.

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given an electric field ε V/m that is constant in the x-direction and a charge +q C located at the origin and free to move in the x-direction. (a) What is the magnitude and direction of the force F acting on q? (b) If q moves under the influence of F a distance d m, how much work is done by F? (c) Assuming the voltage at the origin to be zero, what is the voltage Vd at x = d m, bearing in mind that ε = -dv/dx? (d) How is the loss in electric potential energy related to the work done by F? (e) Assuming the charge has a mass m kg and zero velocity at the origin, show that the KE of the charge at x = d is equal to the loss in electric potential energy.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a. F= εNq in the positive direction
    b. W=Fd
    c. I can guess that it's -εx but I don't know how to explain it properly
    d. Equal by conservation of energy.
    e. Not too sure how.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

a-d: right.
    For (e), I would use energy conservation. Alternatively, calculate the acceleration, and use this to determine the velocity there.

The question uses an ugly way to deal with units :(.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted