1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Electricity

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone,

There is a question in my book that asks if three particles touch and are then seperated (A- +5q, B - -q, C - 0) what is the net charge? I know the answer is 4q, but it also states the following:

Particle C touches A and is removed. Particle C then touches B and is removed. What is the final charge on C? I got 1.333... but the answer in the back of the book says 1.5. Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you could explain how you got 1.33... we could help find where you went wrong.

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    i did net charge 4q / 3

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The question is a little ambiguous. You are correct if the first thing you do is touch them all together, as in your question #1. However, the book's answer is correct if you start again in question #2 with the balls having their initial (different) charge states. Do the problem again with that assumption, and you'll get the correct answer.

6. Sep 17, 2006 #5
    ok. It works like that. I wonder why they didn't word it correctly. It's worded to do it how I did the first time...

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?