What is the potential difference across the resistor in this circuit?

In summary, if you have a voltage across a resistor, current will flow through it. If you have a potential difference across a resistor, then a current will flow through it.
Shark 774
Hi. In the attached document, is the potential difference across the resistor 0V or 15V? I have read two different books that say two different things. Personally I thought 0V seemed correct because no current is flowing hence how can there be a potential difference?

Attachments

• ex.jpg
    ex.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for the voltage across the resistor?
This is from wikipedia:

Ohm's law states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is proportional to the current (I) passing through it, where the constant of proportionality is the resistance (R).

Equivalently, Ohm's law can be stated:

This formulation of Ohm's law states that, when a voltage (V) is present across a resistance (R), a current (I) will flow through the resistance. This is directly used in practical computations. For example, if a 300 ohm resistor is attached across the terminals of a 12 volt battery, then a current of 12 / 300 = 0.04 amperes (or 40 milliamperes) will flow through that resistor.

What did you read that said it was 0V?

Drakkith said:
Are you asking for the voltage across the resistor?
This is from wikipedia:

What did you read that said it was 0V?

In my school course the word "voltage" has been changed to "potential difference" for whatever reason, I don't know. That wikipedia piece seems to me to confirm that it should be 0V because if there is a voltage across a resistor than a current will flow through it. No current through it hence no voltage. They had an example in one of my textbooks like the one I gave and the answer was 0V but then another one of my texts books had a similar example that said 15V, hence my confusion.

What do you mean? If you are applying a voltage, then current will flow through the resistor. Your example has 15 volts being applied, correct?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean? If you are applying a voltage, then current will flow through the resistor. Your example has 15 volts being applied, correct?

It looks like those 2 points at the bottom aren't connected, so no current can flow.

The circuit, as drawn, is an open circuit. There is nothing connecting the the negative side to the resistor. You have zero volts across the resistor.

If you connected those two little circles together, you would complete the circuit, making a connection to both the positive and negative side, and you would measure 15V across the resistor.

Evil Bunny said:
The circuit, as drawn, is an open circuit. There is nothing connecting the the negative side to the resistor. You have zero volts across the resistor.

If you connected those two little circles together, you would complete the circuit, making a connection to both the positive and negative side, and you would measure 15V across the resistor.

Yes this is what I thought. However my teacher and one book said that the potential difference will be 15V across the resistor even when the circuit is open, which makes no sense to me.

If that's the case, then your teacher and one book are wrong.

I suggest you discuss with your teacher the following addition to your circuit.

I have redrawn your circuit and included two switches 'S1' and 'S2 and a capacitor 'cap'.

Start with S1 and S2 both open circuit as in fig1.

Point A is directly connected to the battery and therefore at 15 volts potential.
Points B, C and D are all indeterminate, but would register near zero in a suitable voltmeter.

So in Fig 1 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is zero.

Now close the first switch S1, as in fig2.

Our voltmeter would show that points A, B and C are all at 15 volts and only D is now indeterminate.
This change is explained by stating that a small current flows through the resistor R for just long enough to create the new potentials at B and C. Once the 15 volts is established the current ceases to flow.

So in Fig 2 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is still zero.

Now close the second switch S2, as in fig3.

A larger current flows for a longer time until the capacitor is charged to 15 volts.
Whilst this current is flowing there is a measurable voltage drop across B-C the resistor.
Once the voltage at D has risen to 15 volts the current ceases and all A, B, C and D are now at 15 volts.

The capacitor, still charged to 15 volts, may be removed.

Edit: So in Fig 3 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is still zero.

go well

Attachments

• voltdrop1.jpg
    voltdrop1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Evil Bunny said:

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't realize that lol. I guess that's what happens when you don't have much experience with circuits! :biggrin:

Studiot said:
I suggest you discuss with your teacher the following addition to your circuit.

I have redrawn your circuit and included two switches 'S1' and 'S2 and a capacitor 'cap'.

Start with S1 and S2 both open circuit as in fig1.

Point A is directly connected to the battery and therefore at 15 volts potential.
Points B, C and D are all indeterminate, but would register near zero in a suitable voltmeter.

So in Fig 1 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is zero.

Now close the first switch S1, as in fig2.

Our voltmeter would show that points A, B and C are all at 15 volts and only D is now indeterminate.
This change is explained by stating that a small current flows through the resistor R for just long enough to create the new potentials at B and C. Once the 15 volts is established the current ceases to flow.

So in Fig 2 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is still zero.

Now close the second switch S2, as in fig3.

A larger current flows for a longer time until the capacitor is charged to 15 volts.
Whilst this current is flowing there is a measurable voltage drop across B-C the resistor.
Once the voltage at D has risen to 15 volts the current ceases and all A, B, C and D are now at 15 volts.

The capacitor, still charged to 15 volts, may be removed.

Edit: So in Fig 3 the voltage across the resistor (B-C) is still zero.

go well

Ok great, thanks for the help!

1. What is basic electronics?

Basic electronics refers to the fundamental principles and components that make up electronic devices. It includes understanding concepts such as electricity, circuits, and electronic components like resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

2. What are the essential components of a basic electronic circuit?

The essential components of a basic electronic circuit include a power source, conductors, and electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. These components work together to allow the flow of electricity through the circuit, creating a desired function or output.

3. What is the difference between analog and digital electronics?

Analog electronics deals with signals that are continuously varying, while digital electronics deals with signals that are represented in discrete values (usually 0s and 1s). Analog circuits are used for processing and amplifying signals, while digital circuits are used for processing and storing information.

4. How do I troubleshoot basic electronic circuits?

To troubleshoot basic electronic circuits, you can follow a systematic approach. First, check the power source and make sure it is functioning correctly. Then, check the connections and components to ensure they are properly connected and not damaged. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and resistance. If the issue persists, you may need to replace components or consult a professional.

5. How can I learn more about basic electronics?

There are many resources available to learn more about basic electronics, such as books, online tutorials, and courses. You can also experiment and practice with basic electronic kits or join a local electronics club to learn from others. It is essential to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts before moving on to more complex electronics.