Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Electronics

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hi

First I would like to say that I am not an electrical engineering student. I study physics, and unfortunately I lack a lot of basic electrical know-how. I know the theory behind e.g. a low-pass/high-pass filter and stuff like that, but when it comes to implementing things and - specifically - testing that my circuit works, then I fail. My wish is to get better at these things

I have attached an example of a circuit that I found online. Say I have made the circuit, and now I want to test with a multimeter that everything works.

1) In the top right corner is "Supply". If I measure the resistance between "Supply 1" and "Laser diode 1", then I go through 2 resistors in series of 5.6 Ohm, 1 resistor of 39 Ohm in parallel and 1 inductor in series. Assuming that the inductor has no resistance (it is DC, so I guess I can neglegt it?), then is it correct that I would measure something close to R = 5.6Ω + 5.6Ω + 39Ω = 50.2Ω?

2) Say I measure from "Modulation 2" to "Laser diode 2". I have 1 resistor and 4 diodes in parallel with eachother + a resistor of 10kΩ in series. The arrow on the diode I guess indicates that I can't go through it. What should I expect to measure here?

I would be very happy to get some feedback.

Best,
    Niles.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    1) You can not simplify just like that. There a MOSFET in there. Depending on the bias on the MOSFET terminals, the voltage at the point between two 5.6Ohm resistance will be different. In that case you can not assume that those two 5.6Ohm resistances are just in series. The current can also flow through the MOSFET drain terminal.

You have to look at the gate bias and determine how much current might flow through the drain.

2) Those four diodes are provided to limit the voltage level at the gate. The 280Ohm resistance limits the current(accidental high current). The two 10K resistance provides the bias voltage of the gate. You should try to measure small signal voltage at the gate.

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks. Regarding the MOSFET, then I have found two data sheets:

1) http://www.eng.yale.edu/ee-labs/morse/compo/datasheets/2n5460-d.pdf [Broken]
    2) http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N5460.pdf

They do not tell me the same thing. In (1), leg #1 is S, whereas (2) tells me leg #1 is D. How do I know which one to choose?

Best,
    Niles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    Both of them can be used in any circuits. They just differ in manufacturer. Just recognize the source, drain and gate pin and connect them to the appropriate wire in the circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook