Basic Engineering design of a small lift

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the size and thickness of square or rectangular tubing needed to construct a lift for a car body, with a maximum weight of 1000 pounds. The horizontal member would need to support a midspan load of 4450 N and a yield factor of safety of 1.70, suggesting a 63 x 63 x 4.763 mm square steel tube or a 76 x 51 x 4.763 mm rectangular steel tube. The vertical members would need to support an ultimate factor of safety of 2.0, suggesting a 51 x 51 x 4.763 mm square steel tube. The individual is also considering the differences between square and round bars for flex
badharley99
Hi,

I need a little help on figuring out what size square tubing and thickness I need to make a basic lift for taking the body of a car on and off of a frame. I have included a small drawing of what I am trying to build.

I am going to need to support a maximum of 1000 pounds. All off the force will be vertical with no side loading.

The two vertical post will be bolted to the floor and attached to the ceiling. The distance between posts will be 7 feet. The load will be lifted directly in the middle of the horizontal tube.

Can you please help with what size square (or rectangle) tubing and thickness I need for the verticals and the horizontal to support this weight? Would it be better to use rectangular tubing for the horizontal?

I understand moments of inertia, Youngs modulus have to be figured in just having a little trouble.

Thank you

Nick

badharley99@yahoo.com

Untitled.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
So you have an applied midspan load of P = 4450 N. For the horizontal member, using a yield factor of safety of FSy = 1.70, it currently appears a 63 x 63 x 4.763 mm square steel tube, or a 76 x 51 x 4.763 mm rectangular steel tube, would work. Comparing these two options, there is no significant advantage of one versus the other. I haven't looked into the columns, so far.

Is your value for P the actual, static weight of the object to be lifted, meaning it can have a maximum mass of 454 kg? If so, can this mass be suddenly applied, or dropped, or stuck and then pop free?

Thank you for the reply on size for the horizontal.

There where be no force or acceleration, deacceleration of the load.

I appreciate all the help

thanks

nick

Using an ultimate factor of safety of FSu = 2.0, it currently appears a 51 x 51 x 4.763 mm square steel tube would work for the upright members (columns).

There are differences between square and round bars. The round ones flex more while square flexes only in some planes.

Use square for horizontal ( with the sides vertical or horizontal to ground) and round for vertical.

1. What is the purpose of basic engineering design in a small lift?

The purpose of basic engineering design in a small lift is to ensure that the lift is safe, functional, and meets all necessary regulations and standards. It involves creating a detailed plan for the lift's structure, electrical and mechanical components, and control systems.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a small lift?

Some of the key factors to consider when designing a small lift include the intended use of the lift, the weight and capacity requirements, the available space for installation, the building codes and regulations, and the budget for the project.

3. What are the main components of a small lift?

The main components of a small lift include the lift car, the hoisting mechanism, the control system, the safety devices, and the guide rails. These components work together to ensure safe and efficient operation of the lift.

4. How is the safety of a small lift ensured during the design process?

The safety of a small lift is ensured through careful design and implementation of safety features such as emergency brakes, limit switches, and overload protection. The design also takes into account factors such as load capacity, speed, and emergency procedures in case of malfunctions.

5. What are some common challenges in the design of a small lift?

Some common challenges in the design of a small lift include meeting space and weight restrictions, ensuring smooth and efficient operation, and complying with safety regulations. Additionally, designing a lift that is accessible for individuals with disabilities can also present challenges.