Rearranging Equations for Centripetal Force and Mass of Orbiting Objects

• Thread starter Sharr-zeor
  • Start date
In summary: It's hard for me to check your work -- where did the 1.35 come from? It would be easier for us to check your work if you just left the equation symbollic until the end.
Sharr-zeor
i fail miserably at rearranging equations. how would i rearrange GM/r^2 = v^2/r to make M the subject?
this is to do with centripetal force, and the mass of a planet a space probe is orbiting
after working out the answer to v^2/r (which is 1.35ms^-2) I am left with GM/r^2 = 1.35ms^-2 i wasnt sure if it would be M = 1.35G/r^2...

as i said, i am terrible at rearrangements. any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Sharr-zeor said:
i fail miserably at rearranging equations. how would i rearrange GM/r^2 = v^2/r to make M the subject?

this is to do with centripetal force, and the mass of a planet a space probe is orbiting

after working out the answer to v^2/r (which is 1.35ms^-2) I am left with GM/r^2 = 1.35ms^-2 i wasnt sure if it would be M = 1.35G/r^2...

as i said, i am terrible at rearrangements. any help would be appreciated

Well, per the PF rules (see the link at the top of the page), we can't just give you the answer.

So, what steps do you normally use to re-arrange equations? If you multiply both sides by the same thing, does the equality still hold? Divide both sides by the same thing? Multiply one side by 1? (using something like 1=x/x)

berkeman said:
Well, per the PF rules (see the link at the top of the page), we can't just give you the answer.

well i only need the equation to work out the answer to my coursework question. I've taken the steps to find the necessary equation, i just can't rearrange it.

i didntunderstand the second part of your reply.
i don't know if I am multiplying or dividing anything

oooh, if i multiply 1.35 by r^2 i get GM?
therefore 1.35r^2/G = M ?

if this is right I am going to kick myself for not thinking aboutthe multiplication/division. i always forget the simple bits...

Sharr-zeor said:
well i only need the equation to work out the answer to my coursework question. I've taken the steps to find the necessary equation, i just can't rearrange it.

i didntunderstand the second part of your reply.
i don't know if I am multiplying or dividing anything

oooh, if i multiply 1.35 by r^2 i get GM?
therefore 1.35r^2/G = M ?

if this is right I am going to kick myself for not thinking aboutthe multiplication/division. i always forget the simple bits...

It's hard for me to check your work -- where did the 1.35 come from? It would be easier for us to check your work if you just left the equation symbollic until the end.

So if you start with GM/r^2 = v^2/r

and leave it symbollic, what do you get for M = ?

leaving it symbolic i get (v^2 / r) r^2 / G = M ?

would that work out as v^2 r / G = M

v [squared] r [divided by] G [equals] M

Sharr-zeor said:
leaving it symbolic i get (v^2 / r) r^2 / G = M ?

would that work out as v^2 r / G = M

v [squared] r [divided by] G [equals] M

Good job!

so v^2 r / G = M?

it seems so simple now >.<

thanks for the help, i guess i need to just go through it step by step instead of rushing to an answer :)

1. What is basic equation rearrangement?

Basic equation rearrangement is the process of manipulating a mathematical equation to solve for a different variable. This involves rearranging the terms and applying mathematical operations to simplify the equation and isolate the desired variable.

2. Why is basic equation rearrangement important?

Basic equation rearrangement is important because it allows scientists to solve for different variables in a given equation, which can provide valuable insights and understanding of a specific system or phenomenon. It also allows for the prediction and control of certain variables, which is crucial in scientific research and experimentation.

3. What are the basic steps for rearranging an equation?

The basic steps for rearranging an equation include: identifying the variable to solve for, isolating that variable on one side of the equation, using inverse operations to simplify the equation, and checking the solution for accuracy.

4. Can any equation be rearranged?

Yes, any equation that follows the rules of algebra can be rearranged. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to rearrange. Additionally, some equations may have multiple variables, making it more challenging to isolate a specific variable.

5. How can basic equation rearrangement be applied in real-world situations?

Basic equation rearrangement can be applied in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to solve for unknown variables, predict outcomes, and design experiments. It is also commonly used in everyday life, such as calculating proportions for cooking, budgeting, and planning.