How Do You Calculate the Decay Rate of C14 with a Given Half-Life?

In summary: There will be instances where you want a quantity to be negative, but you don't know the reciprocal of it. In this case, you could use the quadratic equation: ##Q = -Q(t)## where ##t > 0##.
KevinMWHM
Doing some self prep for Diff EQ starting next week.

Determine the decay rate of C14 which has a 1/2 life of 5230. Using e^kt as a function,
I solve using k5230=ln.5 which gives the obvious answer of negative what I want. How do I know to use the reciprocal (ln2) other than to "just know" I want the positive k value? What if I'm looking for something where I may want a negative but don't know it? Will there be such an instance?

-thx

Physics news on Phys.org
trust your answer bro. if your function is e^kt then you do want k to be negative. A nice way to check is to think about the graph of e^kt and what it looks like for k negative and k positive. And keep in mind the question is about decay, so then which graph makes most sense?

KevinMWHM said:
Doing some self prep for Diff EQ starting next week.

Determine the decay rate of C14 which has a 1/2 life of 5230. Using e^kt as a function,
I solve using k5230=ln.5 which gives the obvious answer of negative what I want. How do I know to use the reciprocal (ln2) other than to "just know" I want the positive k value? What if I'm looking for something where I may want a negative but don't know it? Will there be such an instance?

-thx

Your intuition is off. You either want ##e^{kt}## with ##k < 0## or ##e^{-kt}## with ##k > 0##.The quantity ##Q = Q(t)## of C14 must be a decreasing function of t, since the substance is decaying. If you had ##Q = e^{kt}## with ##k > 0## then Q would be increasing without bound, so the amount of C14 would grow so much over a long time as to swallow up the whole earth---not what you want.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. The base, b, is usually a positive number greater than 1, and the exponent, x, can be any real number.

2. What is the natural logarithm (ln)?

The natural logarithm (ln) is the inverse function of the exponential function, written as ln(x). It is the logarithm with base e, where e is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. The ln function is used to find the exponent, x, in an exponential function when the base and result are given.

3. How do you solve an exponential ln equation?

To solve an exponential ln equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value. Remember to check for any extraneous solutions that may not satisfy the original equation.

4. What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic functions?

An exponential function represents the growth or decay of a quantity over time, while a logarithmic function represents the inverse relationship between two quantities. In an exponential function, the independent variable is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic function, the independent variable is the result of the function.

5. How are exponential and logarithmic functions used in science?

Exponential and logarithmic functions are commonly used in science to model various natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as finance, physics, and biology to make predictions and analyze data.