Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic faraday cage questions

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    I hit a 1:40 ratio pulse transformer with a 1000V (100mA) sawtooth pulse and it creates a spark gap. Unfortunately it also creates a lot of EMI and my micro-controller and power supply has problems because of it. How do I stop this? How do I know what the wavelength is of the EMI field so I can figure out what size copper-mesh to get? I don't have a spectrum analyzer. I pulse the coil from anywhere from 10Hz to 400Hz if it matters.

Will any mesh diameter work?
    http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-material/copper

How about a metal box? Would that be more effective?
    http://hollandshielding.com/324-EMI_enclosures

Should I not bother trying to shield the transformer, and instead only shield my micro-controller? I must tie the shield to earth ground, and the easiest way to do that is just my ground plug in my electrical outlet correct? I tried creating a silver box with 100oz pure silver bars, it did nothing. I though that would at least reduce it somewhat.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The EMI from the pulse will not have a single wavelength: it's a pulse.
    You should discover (i.e. from the manufacturer) what frequencies your equipment is sensitive to and protect against those.
    Of course, you could just try putting the equipment in a solid metal box and/or putting a grounded metal wall (or a full water tank) between the equipment and the pulse source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook