How to Calculate Foam Volume for Buoyancy Support of Cargo Block

In summary, the volume of foam needed to support a 70g block with a 1 cm margin of foam all around is 179.22 cc.
ACE_99

Homework Statement

Determine the volume of foam needed to support one cargo block with the following conditions. The bottom of the block is 2 cm above the water line and when viewed from the top there is 1 cm of foam around all edges of the cargo block.

The dimension of the block are 3.5 cm high x 3.5 cm x 7.5 cm. It weighs 70 g.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize this is probably a very simple problem but I just can't manage to wrap my head around it. I know that in order for the block to float the buoyant force exerted by the water must be equal to the weight of water displaced by the block but other than that I'm completely stumped any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you going to need the density of the foam?

If it is going to be doing the displacement of the water you will need to know its weight as well as the weight of the block that is needed.

You know at least that the area of the foam needs to be (3.5 + 2)cm wide and (7.5 + 2)cm long, so all you need is the depth.

LowlyPion said:
Aren't you going to need the density of the foam?

If it is going to be doing the displacement of the water you will need to know its weight as well as the weight of the block that is needed.

This question is part of a prelab and the density of the foam wasn't given. The only other piece of information is that the foam block provided for the experiment is 60 cm x 30 cm x 2.5 cm and it weighs 120g.

What do you mean they didn't give you the density?

They gave you the dimensions and the weight.

So how much water needs to be displaced to support the 70g block and the 5.5x9.5x2 cm of foam block above the water line? What is the net buoyant force per volume you have available and then translate that into the depth that you need below the waterline.

Can't believe that I completely missed that. Ok so given the volume and mass I found the density of the foam to be 26.6 kg/m^3.

So the buoyancy force would be

F = g*((([tex]\rho[/tex]foam))(V) + 70g)
= 0.71 N

so knowing that the buoyant force = [tex]\rho[/tex]gV I would then use the density of foam and the force I found to calculate the volume.

F = [tex]\rho[/tex]gV
0.71= (26.6)(9.81)(V) --> solve for V

V = 0.0027 m^3

Does that sound right?

I'd just work in grams / cc since those are what the dimensions are given in. If your answer needs to be in m³ then convert at the end.
(Note they gave you the weight in grams so I wouldn't use g to figure it as it cancels out everywhere.)

First calculate the foam density:
(60*30**2.5) cc = 120 g

ρ = .026667 g/cc

Then above the waterline:

70 g + 9.5*5.5*2*(.026667) = 72.787g

That just leaves the figuring of the below the waterline volume which we know is 9.5*5.5*X

72.787 + (.026667*52.25*X) = 52.25*X*(1)

So just solve for X.

X = 72.787/(52.25*.97333) = 1.43

I make it then the volume of foam needed including the 2 cm superstructure at (2+1.43)*9.5*5.5 = 179.22 cc of foam

Last edited:
Thanks LowlyPion, that helps a lot.

1. What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that flows and takes the shape of its container. Examples of fluids include water, air, and oil.

2. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids at rest and in motion. It involves understanding how fluids move, interact with other fluids and objects, and how they are affected by forces and pressure.

3. What is a basic fluid mechanics problem?

A basic fluid mechanics problem involves using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and solve problems related to the behavior of fluids. These problems can range from simple calculations of flow rate and pressure to complex simulations of fluid dynamics.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is essential in many industries and everyday situations. It is used in designing and analyzing aircraft and car aerodynamics, understanding weather patterns and ocean currents, and developing efficient plumbing and irrigation systems. It also plays a crucial role in medical procedures such as blood flow and respiratory mechanics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic fluid mechanics problems?

To improve your understanding of basic fluid mechanics problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the equations and formulas used. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and consulting with experts in the field.