Basic Fluids Viscosity question

In summary: Now, the shear stress on the piston wall is ##\tau_{xy}## and, by symmetry, must be the same as ##\tau_{rz}##. This is the viscosity times the rate of change of velocity in the y direction over the thickness of the oil film, ##\delta##.You can relate this to the pressure gradient in the z direction by the force balance on the piston. The piston has an area of ##\pi (5.48/2)^2##, and so the force on the piston due to the oil pressure is just that area times the pressure at the inner wall of the cylinder. The force on the piston due to the weight of the piston is just 0.
Logan McEntire
1. piston having a diameter of D = 5.48 in. and a length of L = 9.50 in. slides downward with a velocity V through a vertical pipe. The downward motion is resisted by an oil film between the piston and the pipe wall. The film thickness is δ = 0.002 in., and the cylinder weighs W = 0.5 lb. Estimate the velocity V if the oil viscosity is μ = 0.016 lb*s/ft^2. Assume the velocity distribution in the gap is linear.

Homework Equations

I think I need Tau=μ(du/dy) and tau=P/A. I don't know what du/dy is.

The Attempt at a Solution

A=pi*(2.74)^2=23.586 in^2
tau=0.5lb/23.586in^2=0.0212.
I don't know what to substitute for du or dy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Logan, :welcome:

Without my Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot at hand, I can still guess that dy has something to do with ##\delta##: over the oil film there is a velocity difference from 0 to V

This is basically shear flow between two "flat parallel plates," where the outside surface of the piston comprises the moving plate and the inside surface of the cylinder comprises the stationary plate. Now, I realize that these are not exactly flat, but, on a local scale on the order of the gap between the cylinders, they are nearly flat. So, if ##y=0## is the inner surface of the cylinder and ##y = \delta## is the outer surface of the piston, the axial velocity profile in the gap between the piston and cylinder is $$v_z=V\frac{y}{\delta}$$and the r-z shear stress is $$\tau_{rz}=\mu\frac{V}{\delta}$$This shear stress is independent of y, and so is the same value at both walls of the gap.

Likes BvU

What is fluid viscosity?

Fluid viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It describes how thick or thin a fluid is and is affected by factors such as temperature and pressure.

How is fluid viscosity measured?

Fluid viscosity is typically measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a narrow tube. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity.

What factors affect fluid viscosity?

The temperature and pressure of a fluid can affect its viscosity. Generally, higher temperatures decrease viscosity while higher pressures increase it. Additionally, the composition and structure of a fluid can also impact its viscosity.

Why is fluid viscosity important?

Fluid viscosity plays a crucial role in many scientific and industrial processes. For example, it affects the flow of liquids in pipes and the mixing of fluids in chemical reactions. It is also important in fields such as medicine and environmental science.

How can fluid viscosity be changed?

Fluid viscosity can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or composition of the fluid. In some cases, additives or chemicals can also be used to modify viscosity. Additionally, the use of different types of equipment or techniques can also impact the viscosity of a fluid.