What Force Keeps a Bar at a Constant Angle on a Smooth Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the value of a constant horizontal force F needed to move a uniform bar of mass m on a smooth horizontal plane at a constant angle theta with the vertical. The participants suggest equating the net torque about the center of the rod and the lowest point of the rod to zero, using the equations F=ma and Torque=Moment of Inertia X Angular acceleration. They also suggest considering the normal force N and choosing the center of mass as the pivot point to balance vertical forces and write out the torque balance of the force F and N. The conversation also touches on the concept of dealing with non-inertial forces when choosing an accelerating frame of reference.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of mass m is being moved on a smooth horizontal plane by applying a constant horizontal force F acting at the lowest point. If the rod translates making a constant angle 'theta' with vertical, the value of F must be?

Homework Equations

1) F=ma
2) Torque=Moment of Inertia X Angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to equate net torque about center of rod and lowest point of rod to zero but can't figure out how to do so in either configuration, I figured the torque of the force about the center is F(L/2)cos(theta) assuming length of rod as L, I don't know how to proceed or how this will give us the value of F in terms of m, g and theta

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn the normal force N?
You should write out the balance of vertical forces to find N.
Then choose the centre of mass as the pivot point of torques and write out the torque balance of the force F and N.

Istvan01 said:
Have you drawn the normal force N?
You should write out the balance of vertical forces to find N.
Then choose the centre of mass as the pivot point of torques and write out the torque balance of the force F and N.
Thanks a lot, on doing this I got the correct answer as F=mgtan(theta); but I still don't understand one point- the torque about any point on the rod should be zero, but when I choose the lowest point as pivot point, F and Normal N have no torque, the only torque is its weight which gives a positive torque, what am I missing?

First notice that the only horizontal force is the force F, so the bar will have horizontal acceleration. If you choose the pivot point somewhere then it's like you choose the frame of reference of that point, which accelerates.
Now if you choose an accelerating frame of reference then you have to deal noninertial forces. This force equils m*a, where m is the mass, and a is the acceloration, its direction is opposite the direction of vector 'a' and it acts on the centre of mass.
This is the force you missing

Istvan01 said:
First notice that the only horizontal force is the force F, so the bar will have horizontal acceleration. If you choose the pivot point somewhere then it's like you choose the frame of reference of that point, which accelerates.
Now if you choose an accelerating frame of reference then you have to deal noninertial forces. This force equils m*a, where m is the mass, and a is the acceloration, its direction is opposite the direction of vector 'a' and it acts on the centre of mass.
This is the force you missing
Alright, thanks a lot for clearing my doubts, I appreciate it

1. What are the four basic forces in nature?

The four basic forces in nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles in the universe.

2. How do these basic forces affect objects in motion?

Gravity is responsible for the motion of objects on a large scale, such as the planets orbiting the sun. Electromagnetism is essential for the movement of charged particles, such as electrons in an electric current. The strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of an atom together, while the weak nuclear force is involved in radioactive decay.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that arises from an object's inertia.

4. How does rotation affect the basic forces?

Rotation can affect the basic forces in different ways. For example, the gravitational force can cause an object to rotate around a larger mass, such as a planet orbiting a star. Rotation can also create centrifugal force, which can counteract the effects of gravity.

5. Can basic forces be manipulated or controlled?

Some of the basic forces, such as electromagnetism, can be manipulated or controlled by humans through technology. However, gravity and the nuclear forces are much more difficult to control and are primarily governed by the laws of physics.