1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic formulas / symbols in LaTeX

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I know basic formulas / symbols in LaTeX, but I'm not too good with the whole PDF thing. I mean, once I have a .tex file I can make a PS, DVI, or PDF file no problem, but the .tex file is the hard part. Every tutorial I read is like 100 pages long. Does anyone have a breif tutorial that gives the basics (headers, line-spacing, equations, etc.) without all the extras?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    I think I'm looking for the short introduction to LaTeX.

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    What I did was use the projects that I wanted done and then looked up the commands I needed using google and the operation I wanted to perform.

like:

"Insert picture latex"

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5
    Try this: http://www.copernicus.org/guidelines/GSWLaTeX.pdf

The first ten pages (less even) show you how to write a small latex file, and then it goes into equations and symbols etc.

PS

7. Nov 18, 2005 #6
    If you have a look at a sample .tex document with some essential elements like TOC, pictures, and formulae, then it will be the fastest way you can get these features to work.

8. Nov 18, 2005 #7
    You don't have to go through the whole not-so-short... It has an index and you can just go to the page relevant to your current problem. And it's not that much of a read anyway. Especially if you use a bit of selective reading.

9. Nov 18, 2005 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?