Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic formulas / symbols in LaTeX

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I know basic formulas / symbols in LaTeX, but I'm not too good with the whole PDF thing. I mean, once I have a .tex file I can make a PS, DVI, or PDF file no problem, but the .tex file is the hard part. Every tutorial I read is like 100 pages long. Does anyone have a breif tutorial that gives the basics (headers, line-spacing, equations, etc.) without all the extras?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    I think I'm looking for the short introduction to LaTeX.

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    What I did was use the projects that I wanted done and then looked up the commands I needed using google and the operation I wanted to perform.

like:

"Insert picture latex"

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5
    Try this: http://www.copernicus.org/guidelines/GSWLaTeX.pdf

The first ten pages (less even) show you how to write a small latex file, and then it goes into equations and symbols etc.

PS

7. Nov 18, 2005 #6
    If you have a look at a sample .tex document with some essential elements like TOC, pictures, and formulae, then it will be the fastest way you can get these features to work.

8. Nov 18, 2005 #7
    You don't have to go through the whole not-so-short... It has an index and you can just go to the page relevant to your current problem. And it's not that much of a read anyway. Especially if you use a bit of selective reading.

9. Nov 18, 2005 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?