What Are the Key Controversies in Understanding the Big Bang Theory?

In summary, the speaker is a student with an interest in theoretical physics and philosophy. They are seeking resources to deepen their understanding of the Big Bang Theory, specifically regarding recent controversies surrounding red-shift and quasars. They are also interested in learning about the FLRW and FRW models. They are open to information from any level and are committed to becoming well-versed in BBT.
QuantumMechanic
To begin with, I'll let you know I am a student. I am prone to theoretical physics and philosophy over cold, hard, mathematical fact. That being said, I was recently intrigued by a few things I learned regarding the Big Bang Theory.

I'm still really shaky on the topic, though, and I could use a few good resources if anyone has information, sites, or books that I should look up. While I know the basic principles of the Big Bang, I'm confused over the recent controversy regarding red-shift and quasars. I also have no idea what an FLRW and FRW model is. I'd be glad to learn about anything else someboyd on the forums thinks is in any way important or pertinent.

I am very much aware that there is a lot to cover, but is there anyhing that can help me both deepen my understanding of the theory and understand the talking points of the nay-sayers and those fueling the controversies? I'm looking for any information that can educate and/or enlighten me. Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

Space news on Phys.org
QuantumMechanic said:
To begin with, I'll let you know I am a student.

High school? University

While I know the basic principles of the Big Bang, I'm confused over the recent controversy regarding red-shift and quasars.

Do you mean https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=196660"? Or soemthing else?

I also have no idea what an FLRW and FRW model is.

FLRW stands for Friedman-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker model of the universe. Sometimes poeple leave out Lemaitre, but after recently reading more about him, I'll try not to do this. It is a solution of Einstein's equation of general relativity that models a homogeneous, isotropic, expanding universe.

I'm looking for any information that can educate and/or enlighten me. Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

At what level?

Books are the best source of information. Barbara Ryden's Introduction to cosmology is particularly readable (for those that have a second-year physics background).

Ned Wright has a http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm currently a senior in high school enrolled in AP Physics. However, I'm taking courses through LIU and Seton Hall as well. I just figured I might as well let everyone know I'm not the most well-versed in physics compared to many of the others on the site, I'm just learning. But please don't hold back information that requires a greater ability to comprehend. I don't believe I am the high school level.

About the thread you left me, it is actually the kind of stuff I was talking about. I recently came into contact with some of Halton Arp's admirers' sites. They are very ambiguous at best and I was looking for support for what they claim, or any information that refutes his work. Either way, anything that helps me be a little more learned about red-shift and quasars in general is appreciated.

But any information you have at all, up to any level, I'll take. I have a fantastic ability to retain what I'm taught or shown and I'm looking to become very well-versed in BBT.

I'm willing to read and learn anything you have to offer.

1. What is Cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It aims to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the nature of the universe and how it has changed over time.

2. What are the basic fundamentals of Cosmology?

The basic fundamentals of Cosmology include the Big Bang theory, the expansion of the universe, dark matter and dark energy, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the formation and evolution of galaxies and large-scale structures.

3. How do scientists study the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the universe, including observations with telescopes, satellite missions, and computer simulations. They also use mathematical models and theories to explain and predict different phenomena in the universe.

4. What is the significance of studying Cosmology?

Studying Cosmology allows us to gain a better understanding of our place in the universe and how it has evolved over time. It also helps us answer fundamental questions about the origin of the universe, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the fate of the universe.

5. How does Cosmology relate to other scientific fields?

Cosmology is a multidisciplinary field that incorporates concepts and principles from physics, astronomy, chemistry, and mathematics. It also has connections to other areas of research, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and general relativity.