Solving a Basic Gravity Problem: How Fast Does a Tomato Fall from 100 Feet?

• Thread starter TG3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: V = sqrt(2*g*h)In summary, the problem is to determine the speed at which a tomato will hit the ground when dropped from 100 feet above, using the formula for acceleration due to gravity. The attempt at solving the problem involved using the formula delta X = 1/2 at^2, but resulted in an incorrect answer. A more accurate solution would be to use the relationship between potential and kinetic energy, V = sqrt(2*g*h).
TG3
I feel like an idiot asking this, it's review of a previous course as we start a new quarter, and I KNOW I used to be able to do this... but I don't remember how too. Time to review...

Homework Statement

A tomato is dropped from 100 feet above the ground. At what speed does it hit the ground?
How long does it take to fall the last 100 feet?

Homework Equations

Acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft/sec^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I recall correctly, delta X = 1/2 at^2
100 = 1/2 32 T^2
200 = 32 T^2
6.25 = T^2
T = 2.5
Tomato hits ground after 2.5 seconds.
So now, plugging that in:
32 (2.5)^2 = 200... which is definitely not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
TG3 said:
I feel like an idiot asking this, it's review of a previous course as we start a new quarter, and I KNOW I used to be able to do this... but I don't remember how too. Time to review...

Homework Statement

A tomato is dropped from 100 feet above the ground. At what speed does it hit the ground?
How long does it take to fall the last 100 feet?

Homework Equations

Acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft/sec^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I recall correctly, delta X = 1/2 at^2
100 = 1/2 32 T^2
200 = 32 T^2
6.25 = T^2
T = 2.5
Tomato hits ground after 2.5 seconds.
So now, plugging that in:
32 (2.5)^2 = 200... which is definitely not right.

Doing it your way, the last step would be V = a*t not t2

Otherwise you could take the Potential energy to kinetic energy relationship:

m*g*h = 1/2*m*V2

or

V2 = 2*g*h

As a scientist, it is completely normal to forget certain equations or concepts from previous courses, especially if they have not been used in a while. It is always a good idea to review and refresh our knowledge before starting a new quarter or project. In this case, the equation you are using is correct, but you may have made a mistake in your calculations. The correct answer for the time it takes the tomato to fall from 100 feet is actually 4.47 seconds, and the speed at impact is approximately 64 ft/sec. Make sure to double check your calculations and review the units you are using. It is also helpful to write out all the steps to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work in reviewing and refreshing your knowledge!

What is the formula for calculating basic gravity?

The formula for calculating basic gravity is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

What is the value of the gravitational constant G?

The value of the gravitational constant G is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2. It is a universal constant that is used in the calculation of gravitational force between two objects.

How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that objects with larger masses will have a stronger pull on other objects compared to objects with smaller masses.

Does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity?

Yes, the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them.

Can gravity be shielded or canceled out?

No, gravity cannot be shielded or canceled out. It is a fundamental force of nature that acts on all objects with mass. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as electromagnetic forces or centrifugal force.